Re: Multi Jumping is no big deal since LBB5v1, was Re: Incredibly efficient! was Re: [TML] L-Hyd not necessary for jumping & misc.... Phil Pugliese 24 May 2016 00:15 UTC

Just wondering;

How far would you have to be travelling in order to require, let's say it's the standard 'scout ship', a two-week constant 2G accell (towards the 'target'), a coasting time of one week, & then a two-week decell in order to arrive w/ only a small relative diff in velocity?

Since the 'coasting' time will still require the use of the PP, take some time off both ends of the trip so that there'll still be enough power avail to survive & maneuver at the end.

On Mon, 5/23/16, Craig Berry <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: Multi Jumping is no big deal since LBB5v1, was Re: Incredibly efficient! was Re: [TML] L-Hyd not necessary for jumping & misc....
 To: xxxxxx@simplelists.com
 Date: Monday, May 23, 2016, 12:31 PM

 Not "continues
 at 1G". As soon as you shut down the drive, you're
 coasting; absent external forces (e.g., gravity fields)
 you'll continue at the same velocity (direction and
 speed) forever.
 With a CT m-drive, the only reason not to do the
 midpoint flip with continuous acceleration on both sides is
 if you're deliberately trying to make the trip last
 longer or reduce your signature.
 On Mon, May 23, 2016
 at 12:23 PM,  <tmr0195@comcast.net>
 wrote:
 Hello
 Phil,

 IIRC CT's power plant fuel is calculated for
 4 weeks.
 More recollection since my books are not handy
 is
 that a ship that accelerates to 1G and shuts
 down
 the M-drive continues at 1G until mid-flight when

 the hull flips over to decelerate for arrival at
 the
 destination. The longer one waits to do the flip
 the higher the deceleration that is required.

 Of course I could be in error and probably have
 waited until I got home.

 Tom R

  Date: Sunday, May 22, 2016, 4:11 PM

  Like,
  inertialess, no-exhaust maneuver drives with
 near-infinite
  delta v and tiny fuel requirements, for example?
  :)
  On Sun,
  May 22, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Phil Pugliese (via tml list)
 <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>

  On Sat, 5/21/16, tmr0195@comcast.net
  <tmr0195@comcast.net>

   Subject: Re: Multi Jumping is no big deal since LBB5v1,

   To: "TML" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>

   Date: Saturday, May 21, 2016, 9:28 PM

   From: "Phil

   Pugliese (via tml list)"

   <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>

   "TML" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>

   Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2016 3:37:22

   PM

   Subject: Re: Multi Jumping is no

  wrote:

    Subject: Re: Multi Jumping is no big

   deal since LBB5v1, was Re: Incredibly efficient! was
  Re:

   [TML] L-Hyd not necessary for jumping & misc....

    To: "TML"

   <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>

   Saturday, May 21, 2016, 6:06 AM

    Morning

    PDT Phil,

    From: "Phil

    Pugliese (via tml list)"

    <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>

   was Re: Incredibly efficient! was Re: [TML] L-Hyd

    not necessary for jumping & misc....

    >Depends on what you

   mean by "ruleset".

    >I consider both LBB5's to be part of

   the same

    ruleset, ie:CT (T1)

    >I can't really see

   treating each book as

    separate ruleset

   even if one book is a revised version of

    the other.

    I have the ten FFE CT reprints purchased back

   in 2000

    until I what I believe is the

   complete set. Then I have my

    dog-eared

   copy if CT LBB 1-3 1977, CT LBB 5 HG 1979, two of

    CT HG 1980 (1st and 15th printings), Striker

   1981, and

    Supplement 12 1983. I've

   also have a copy of LBB 8,

    which is buried

   at the bottom of one of the book piles I

    have, unfortunately I'm not sure which

   pile and I'd

    rather not tip any of

   them over.;-)

    In FFE CT

   001 LBB 0-8 LBB

    1-3 are 1977/1981 3rd

   Printings and LBB 5 1980 12th

    printing.

   Anyone purchasing a complete set of CT after 1981

    would not have known about material dropped,

   dumped, or

    omitted from the 1977 to 1980

   issued LBBs. Okay, if the

    individual meets

   someone with the older version of the rule

    set they will discover what disappeared with

   the revised

    material.

    Tom R

   ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   >All true.

   (Although I prefer the term 'omitted' rather
  than

   "did away with, etc) In fact, I think most of us

   probably >didn't 'buy-in' at the very
 dawn
  of

   Traveller, so there would be gaps there & also gaps
  if

   one or another of us >didn't keep up w/ all the

   pubs.

   I was lucky to find the

   copy of Traveller in 1977/78 since the books I picked
  up

   were the only ones there. While I was deployed to the
  Med

   from 1991 to October 1994 I missed a lot of Traveller

   material that came. From October 1994 to July 1, 2009 I

   tried picking up material I missed. From July 1 2009 to
  mid

   2014 I was not buying much of anything because on June
  30,

   2009 I got a pick slip from my place of employment and

   discovered I had way to much debt and to little income

   without a job. Now I'm slowly trying to keep
 building
  my

   collection, okay hoard, of gaming material.

   >So then, &

   since few of us live in void, devoid of any contact w/

   others, what do you do when someone else >trots out
  their

   very much 'official' LBB, etc. & points out

   something that you or I wasn't aware of?

   >Well, one option is, "I never saw or

   heard of that before now so get rid of it or get

   lost!".

   >Or, perhaps some other

   response would be more appropo?

   I am guilty of trotting out the CT

   LBB 1-3 1977 and CT LBB 5 1979 under certain
  circumstances.

   In CT Supplement 7 1980 p. 35 the system defense boat
  has

   two missile magazines. CT LBB 5 1980 does not mention

   missile magazines, however CT LBB 5 p. 32 does have a
  rule

   for missile magazines.

   I have suggested that with some

   modification the LBB 5 1979 missile magazine rule
 should
  be

   reinstated in LBB 5 1980. Actually, I included a
  unpolished

   modification along with the suggestion. Nothing has

   happened, even after suggesting using the missile
  magazine

   rule in MT.

   >In my mind the old rules would still be

   valid *unless* specifically & explicitly
 contradicted
  by

   a later version.

   >And even in that case

   (re: jump torps) I believe there should be some leeway
  esp

   considering the adv involving >the
  'Leviathan'

   .

   I may be mistaken

   but with CT LBB 1 through 3 the copyright information
  is

   1977/1981 while the two copies of CT LBB 5 HG2 are
 1980.
  If

   CT LBB 5 HG2 had a copyright of 1979/1980 I would agree
  that

   the 1979 copy is valid source document. Without the

   annotation of 1979 I think makes the material not in
  the

   1980 CT LBB 5 HG2 edition is not valid unless everyone
  at

   the table agrees to use them.

   CT Adventure 4 Leviathan has a

   copyright of 1980 but from the material appears to have
  been

   constructed using CT LBB 5 1979 and CT LBB 2 1977
  rules.

   Unfortunately, rewriting the design specification for
  the

   Leviathan and a number of other published ships to the
  CT

   LBB 5 HG2 1980 and CT LBB 2 1977/1981 was probably not

   possible at the time for unknown reasons.

   >Also, in LBB5

   it is explicitly stated that the LBB2 rules for
  starship

   creation are *still* valid despite the fact that
  >they

   don't  jibe w/ LBB5.

   Yes, LBB 5 1980 p. 22: Drives  "It

   is possible  to include standard drives (at standard

   prices) from Book 2 it they will otherwise meet the

   ship's requirements; such drives use fuel identical

   the formulas in Book 2."

   LBB 2 1977/1981 p. 15: "At a

   minimum, ship fuel tankage must equal 0.1MJn+10Pn,
 where

   is the tonnage of the ship, Jn is the ship's jump

   number, and Pn is the ship's power plant rating for
  four

   weeks of fuel. Jump fuel under the formula (0.1MJn)
  allows

   one jump of the stated level. Ships performing jumps
  less

   than their maximum capacity consume fuel at a lower
  level

   based on the jump number used."

   The

   LBB 2 1977 using all jump fuel regardless of jump
  distance

   and LBB 5 1979 installation of a jump governor has been

   written out of the CT rule set.

   Tom R (hopefully i did better this

   time)

  I have to disagree...

  To agree would be to imply that once certain items are
 not
  mentioned anymore, they have somehow 'poofed' out
 of
  existence w/i the TU.

  Never to be seen or heard of again.

  But these items have been woven into the fabric that
  constitutes the background of the TU.

  Once that happens they are here to stay.

  p.s. IMO, "written out", etc. does NOT been
  "gone, illegal, etc.".

  Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml

  Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com

  To unsubscribe from this list please goto

  http://archives.simplelists.com

  --

  Craig
  Berry (http://google.com/+CraigBerry)