Re: Metric Converters, was Re: [TML] Every day it seems we're closer to Cyberpunk 2020... shadow@xxxxxx (04 Jul 2016 01:22 UTC)

Re: Metric Converters, was Re: [TML] Every day it seems we're closer to Cyberpunk 2020... shadow@xxxxxx 04 Jul 2016 01:21 UTC

On 3 Jul 2016 at 15:53, Phil Pugliese (via tml list) wrote:

> It may be just me, but I always carry a metric converter.
>
> Some tourists from Sweden were quite surprised when, after viewing
> some real estate 'for sale' signs, they asked "What are 'acres'" & I
> whipped out my trusty calculator!

Who needs a converter. An acre is 1/640th of a square mile.

So 10 acres is 1/8th mile on a side (if it was square). 2.5 acres is
1/16th of a mile on a side, etc.

Yes, I have "strategic" bits of the American system of units
memorized:

1 inch = 2.54 cm (legal definition)
1 gallon = 231 cubic inches (also a definition)

The usual 12 in = 1 foot, 3 feet = 1 yard, 5280 feet = 1 mile
16 ounces = 1 pound

oh yeah. one ounce = 28.35 grams.

There are probably a few more I'm not coming up with right this
minute.

But with only a few conversion factors for length, area, volume, and
weight, you can go a long ways.
--
Leonard Erickson (aka shadow)
shadow at shadowgard dot com