Amount of self-government on member worlds Abu Dhabi (11 Jul 2016 15:09 UTC)
Re: [TML] Amount of self-government on member worlds Bruce Johnson (11 Jul 2016 16:37 UTC)
Re: [TML] Amount of self-government on member worlds Douglas Berry (11 Jul 2016 20:38 UTC)
Re: [TML] Amount of self-government on member worlds Abu Dhabi (11 Jul 2016 21:06 UTC)
Re: [TML] Amount of self-government on member worlds Douglas Berry (11 Jul 2016 21:17 UTC)
Re: [TML] Amount of self-government on member worlds Douglas Berry (13 Jul 2016 21:46 UTC)

Re: [TML] Amount of self-government on member worlds Bruce Johnson 11 Jul 2016 16:37 UTC

> On Jul 11, 2016, at 8:09 AM, Abu Dhabi <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> IYTU, how autonomous are the 3I's member worlds?

In local matters, entirely so, in theory. In practice, it’s much easier to bend with the Imperium’s norms, so over time the Imperium tends to work like a single state rather than a confederation of member states. It’s fluid, flexible and relies mainly on time, custom and the fact that the Imperium makes it easier to go it’s way than not.  Also: Imperial Navy.

> Per the OTU, there's a truly amazing variation in type of government of the Imperium's planets, but there's also "Imperial Nobles" listed assigned to member worlds. What function do they serve? Liaisons? Governors? Members of whatever government the world has? Something else?

Yes.

All of those, in various forms and permutations. Some are "Office Nobles”; holding Imperial rank while in whatever form of ruling office they have on a world.

Some are long standing ruling families who have Imperial titles as well. Some are people who came and took over.  Some are "That guy with the fancy office in the starport.” and are more like Imperial diplomats than local leaders. Some are the big kahuna’s of commerce.

Some actually own the planets they rule.

Some are all of the above, but in different places.

Some (possibly all)  Imperial nobles have fiefs. It is income from those that provide the imperial levy. How those levies are generated are up to the fief-holder. A fief could be anything from a sector down to a particular block of real-estate, some form of intellectual property ('Lord Alquaan, Count Regent of the Sony Back Catalogue’), or just stock ownership in local companies.

They may levy taxes to pay for their Imperial obligations, they may ‘wet their beaks’ in commerce in the system, they may just pay it themselves and reap the benefits of being a wealthy connected person and graciously accept the ‘gifts’ given to them by a grateful populace.

The Emperor doesn’t care so long as the required Cr move up the line. The whole point is that the Imperium doesn’t need extended command and control, that it has become entrenched in the local power structure to the point it is in their own self-interest to continue the relationship.

> How does the Emperor maintain any level of stability of income and levies with such an internal variety? Is there some standard policy of how to govern, or are High Nobility pointed at a volume of space and told to "Serve the Emperor's Interest”?

The Emperor tells the Sector Dukes what she wants done. (note: not HOW to do it, What is the desired end) They tell the myriad nobles under their command what they want done. The ones ate the pointy end are told: “This is what we need. Use your best judgement to achieve that."

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona