Re: Gunnery (was: [TML] automation and its ramifications) Jonathan Clark (11 Jul 2016 23:26 UTC)
Re: Gunnery (was: [TML] automation and its ramifications) shadow@xxxxxx (12 Jul 2016 02:50 UTC)
Re: Gunnery (was: [TML] automation and its ramifications) Richard Aiken (12 Jul 2016 05:05 UTC)
Re: Gunnery (was: [TML] automation and its ramifications) Traveller (12 Jul 2016 12:47 UTC)
(missing)
(missing)
Re: Gunnery (was: [TML] automation and its ramifications) Richard Aiken (12 Jul 2016 21:06 UTC)
Re: Gunnery (was: [TML] automation and its ramifications) Richard Aiken (12 Jul 2016 21:14 UTC)
Re: Gunnery Kelly St. Clair (12 Jul 2016 22:41 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: Gunnery C. Berry (12 Jul 2016 22:53 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: Gunnery Richard Aiken (13 Jul 2016 00:36 UTC)

Re: Gunnery (was: [TML] automation and its ramifications) Traveller 12 Jul 2016 12:47 UTC

> On 12 Jul 2016, at 00:26, Jonathan Clark <xxxxxx@att.net> wrote:
>
> So how does Gunnery skill help? I hand-wave it as either a Luck-based skill, or perhaps a Psionic
> one. It gives someone with the skill a chance to sub-consciously predict *how* the missile will
> jink, that is, exactly what course changes will be triggered by the missile's random-number
> generator, over the next few iterations of this.

I don't really go with "Luke the psionic gunner" nor with having my gunner's role be "guess the score on the die".

Instead I'd like to make important decisions.

"There are 10 missiles inbound and point defence can take out 10 missiles, what do you do?"

"Umm, fire? Sorry, FIRE!"

"As above but you can 90% kill 10 missiles or 100% kill 9"

"Umm, max accel on heading 123 will give me another 10 seconds on missile 8"

"As above but the PD system over heats after 9 targets"

"Emergency cooling will get us one more shot and PD offline for three minutes"

"As above but there are also 3 missiles heading for the carrier"

"Bother!"*

(* or similar word)

Phil Kitching

All info vaguely remembered from Qi episodes and, if you're lucky, checked on Wikipedia.
I accept no liability for the consequences of its use in exams, job interviews or in the presence of anyone who knows, or thinks they know, anything about anything.