(missing)
Re: [TML] desert survival with a grav vehicle and the clothes you stand up in Jeffrey Schwartz (14 Jul 2016 14:30 UTC)
(missing)
(missing)
(missing)

Re: [TML] desert survival with a grav vehicle and the clothes you stand up in Jeffrey Schwartz 14 Jul 2016 14:29 UTC

An air/raft has 4 grav modules, a power supply and the controls and avionics.
Liquid coolant isn't that common, since it's orbit-rated.

Depending on how the badguys disabled it, you've got some options.

Avionics includes the ELT - Emergency Landing Transponder. This is a
small radio system buried in the frame for maximum survivability in
the event of a crash. For the scenario you're describing, it'd be a
dead giveaway this isn't a natural death if they fiddled with it. If
the bad guys made it look like your PC landed and then the air/raft
failed, then he might be able to rig some way to trigger the ELT and
thus send for help. This is probably the best bet overall for
survival.

The grav modules are solid state. There's a connector that plugs them
in for power, another for the control bus, another for the backup
control bus, and either 4 or 6 bolts that hold it in to the mounts.
These are a lot like the motor mounts on a car. The module's underside
and top have heat exchange fins, like the heat sink on a cpu. There's
ducting for that runs air over the module when the air/raft is moving,
and there's a couple spring-loaded doors with bimetal actuators that
close when it's too cold. (The module will work in near-zero kelvin,
but if ice forms inside the fractal fins of the heat sink, it can bend
them and they they don't work right. Ever again. No matter how much
you screw with them. Replace the whole heat sink, otherwise you never
know when the overheat will come back to bite you.)
Oh, and don't break or bend the cooling fins while you're messing with
the cover. You'll regret it later.

There's either 8 or 12 bolts around the top of the module, but opening
it won't yield much. About 1 in 20 air/rafts (mostly older ones)  will
have at least 2 of the bolts be a different head size than the others.
I don't think they came from the factory this way. About 1 in 50
air/rafts have one bolt that's stripped. I know they didn't come from
the factory that way.
 There's a couple super capacitors in there for handling surge loads,
and if they haven't self discharged or been safety-discharged you can
get hurt with them. You could carefully dismount them and use them to
throw big sparks to make a camp fire, but that's not that useful here.
Some electronics, six big coils that if you fiddle with them without
alignment tools you'll mess up, some sensors. Nothing really useful in
this context.

The power supply is either a battery pack (more super caps, really) or
a small fusion pack. Either way kinda dangerous to play with without
tools, and no moving parts or coolant inside. If you're a "Fusion+"
Traveller game, there may be a few ounces of water you can get out of
the fusion pack.

There's normally conduit around the bigger cables, so you could figure
a way to get that out for your survival still.

Some (<10%) air/rafts that see a lot of ground/orbit work have a PLSS
you can plug your vac suit into - in that case, you might be able to
access the water reservoir in it. You might even be able to bleed off
the oxygen bottle, with would make a pretty serious pressure drop and
might cause some condensation to form.
You might be able to do something really creative with the CO2 scrubber.
The PLSS should have it's own battery, which you might be able to rig
to power the vehicle radio.

If the air/raft has an air/conditioner, you might be able to get some
condensation out of it if it was running before the crash and it
hasn't evaporated while the PCs were unconscious. The A/C is solid
state, except for a couple fans, so venting the pressure lines to make
condensation won't work - no pressure lines.

You can remove the crash airbags (if they weren't already deployed in
the 'crash') and use those for your survival still tarp. Might even be
able to cut up a couple of them and make a lean-to for shade.
If you can pry out the sealant around one of the windshield panes, you
can lever out that whole sheet of plastic, and that makes a really
good top for a solar still.
Hopefully there's an empty drink cup in the vehicle somewhere for a
collection container for the still. If not, then you could smash up
the console between the front seats and get the cup-holder part out to
use as a little bowl.

If the airbags didn't automatically deploy, you might be able to
salvage the squibs. That and the PLSS battery and the chemicals from
the scrubber might make you a little grenade.... if your air/raft has
the PLSS.

Vehicle tool kit... yeah,no jack, no tire iron.
There should be a small screwdriver and a box of spare fuses for the
avionics, but that's put in by the manufacturer mostly to give people
something to do while waiting for a repair vehicle to come. Most of
the time if there's an avionics problem replacing the fuse will just
cause the new fuse to blow. The screwdriver is for opening the fuse
compartment. You can use it to open the headlight and taillight covers
to replace bulbs there, although the bulbs are usually LED and last
100k hours and never need replacing. But if it's a Vilani air/raft
it's made to run for 50 years so that the 40 year financing on it pays
off, and that's long enough to burn out a bulb.  Besides, Vilani are
hardcore about things lasting forever with proper maintenance, so of
course you can swap parts.
It's it's a Solomani air/raft, they used cheap bulbs and there might
even be a replacement bulb in the toolkit... because General Gravitics
sells them in pairs, so if one burns out you have to buy both, which
leaves one good one left over which rattles around in storage forever.
If you take it out of  the vehicle storage, it's fate that within 7
days the other headlight will burn out and you end up buying another
pair. If you leave it in, the other light will last 3 years. (Am I
bitter, much? There's a bin in the type-S with 3 of these bulbs. You
tell me.)
  If it's a Sylean model, they used good bulbs,but they're
specifically designed to need 're certification' for a small fee every
year. The dealer doesn't have a parts cost for replacing your bulb, so
that's all profit.

Anyway, taking apart a headlight would give you a nice mirror for
signalling for help.
Smashing the lens repeatedly should break it, which gives you a sharp
edge for cutting up the airbags and seat covers.

Air/rafts sold on some 'rural' worlds might and IISS rafts will have a
"Jungle Crash" kit in a compartment you can reach from inside the
vehicle. This is for coping with crashing an air/raft in the upper
canopy of dense jungle, where the vehicle hangs up and doesn't fall
through to the ground. The 'kit' consists of a good quality rappelling
rope and 4 cheap swiss seat style harnesses. The idea is you tie off
to the tree, then drop down on the side of the trunk opposite the
air/raft so you get to the ground before the branches eventually break
and the vehicle plummets you to your death. I'm not sure this actually
works, I think there's a kickback somewhere in the procurement process
for IISS air/rafts that lets somebody get cr10 per air/raft on this
deal.

Air/Rafts have 'feet' on the bottom, about 2cm thick, for landing.
These mate up to the deck latches on a Type-S. You can leave them in
'idle/locked' which keeps the vehicle locked in position relative to
the object directly below them. Some people do this when they park on
landing stages they don't quite trust, or on lawns they don't want to
hurt.