Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Jonathan Clark (12 Jun 2017 01:07 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Rupert Boleyn (12 Jun 2017 01:39 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Ethan McKinney (12 Jun 2017 01:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages C. Berry (12 Jun 2017 02:53 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Niels Kobschätzki (12 Jun 2017 04:48 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages tmr0195@xxxxxx (12 Jun 2017 14:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Ethan McKinney (12 Jun 2017 14:33 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages tmr0195@xxxxxx (12 Jun 2017 18:23 UTC)
(missing)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Ethan McKinney (12 Jun 2017 18:32 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages C. Berry (12 Jun 2017 19:39 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Ethan McKinney (12 Jun 2017 20:03 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages C. Berry (12 Jun 2017 20:19 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Grimmund (13 Jun 2017 14:29 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Alex Goodwin (13 Jun 2017 16:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Grimmund (13 Jun 2017 18:05 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages C. Berry (12 Jun 2017 17:20 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Kelly St. Clair (12 Jun 2017 17:25 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Christopher Sean Hilton (14 Jun 2017 10:50 UTC)
RE: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Greg Aldridge (14 Jun 2017 11:24 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Christopher Sean Hilton (14 Jun 2017 15:45 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages C. Berry (14 Jun 2017 15:59 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Ethan McKinney (14 Jun 2017 16:45 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Greg Nokes (14 Jun 2017 16:51 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Kelly St. Clair (14 Jun 2017 17:31 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Kelly St. Clair (14 Jun 2017 17:43 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Christopher Sean Hilton (14 Jun 2017 19:29 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Jeffrey Schwartz (14 Jun 2017 19:44 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages C. Berry (14 Jun 2017 19:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages shadow@xxxxxx (15 Jun 2017 04:23 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages C. Berry (14 Jun 2017 17:46 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Grimmund (14 Jun 2017 18:24 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Christopher Sean Hilton (14 Jun 2017 19:38 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Grimmund (14 Jun 2017 12:02 UTC)
Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Christopher Sean Hilton (14 Jun 2017 15:55 UTC)

Re: [TML] Dumb Q about Passages Alex Goodwin 13 Jun 2017 16:42 UTC

Was this (part of) the reason why GT: Far Trader uses a per-parsec model?

Distances are (in the main), calculated along the shortest trade route
between the departure and arrival point, not the direct astrographic
distance.

Unit rates (per dton-pc for cargo, per-pc for passengers) split out
between J1, J2-3, and J4+ vessels.  IIRC, J1 ships charged a base price
(when tramping) of Cr700/dton-pc, J2-3 ships charged Cr650/dton-pc, and
J4+ ships charged Cr1200/dton-pc (when traversing Xboat routes -
otherwise they fell back to J2-3 pricing).

When J3+ ships operate along a J2 route, they're able toup their unit
rates in inverse proportion to the time they would take, compared to
trade route.

Borrowing Bill Cameron's two favourite planets, Arglebargle IX and
Bargleargle XI are 10 pc apart by direct route, but 19 pc along the J2
route connecting them (maybe the direct route is void).  Thus, a J2 boat
would take 10 jumps, one way, while a J3 boat that can do the run in 8
jumps would multiply their unit rate by 10/8.  This speed premium
disappears along pure-J3 routes, as there are enough J3 ships competing
to bid such premium out of existence.

After trade patterns change (and Bargleargle finishes panel-beating
their starport - what do you *mean* PCs were involved?  Step outside,
sir!), that J3 route becomes standard, so J3 ships can only charge the
going unit rate.  A J4 boat that can do the run in 6 weeks would still
command a time premium, charging an average of Cr866/dton-pc (compared
to average going rate of Cr650/dton-pc) - not express rates as it isn't
along an Xboat route.

Finally, a bunch of cynical blokes goes and, as part of a
multi-teracredit tribute to a pre-starflight Solomani musician, builds a
deep space station 4 pc out from Arglebargle.  One of them bribes the
IISS sector commander to run an XBoat route through their deep space
station and the direct, express route opens up.  3 weeks and Cr10900 (2
express J4 jumps at Cr1200/dton-pc + a single J2 at Cr650/dton-pc) will
get a dton of cargo from Arglebargle to Bargleargle, or even back the
other way. The original J2 route rapidly fades into memory (19 pc of
expenses against 10 pc of revenue), followed by prices coming down with
a loud crash along the J3 route (assuming it doesn't also dissipate).