Re: [TML] What class of Port is this? Phil Pugliese (12 Aug 2017 14:32 UTC)
Re: [TML] What class of Port is this? tmr0195@xxxxxx (12 Aug 2017 19:54 UTC)
Re: [TML] What class of Port is this? Kelly St. Clair (12 Aug 2017 20:03 UTC)
Re: [TML] What class of Port is this? tmr0195@xxxxxx (12 Aug 2017 22:29 UTC)
Re: [TML] What class of Port is this? Kelly St. Clair (13 Aug 2017 14:19 UTC)

Re: [TML] What class of Port is this? Phil Pugliese 12 Aug 2017 14:31 UTC

Clarification;

When I said, " I can see where it might happen but I think it's be pretty rare."
I meant, "It would be pretty rare, but not unprecedented, to find a planetary HiPort w/o a DownPort".

p.s. there's also Shionthy in the 'Marches where, according to canon the red zone was applied due to 'shards' of antimatter present in the system's asteroid belt. Apparently a 'leftover' from a battle during 'Grandfather's War' that shattered a planet that had previously been present where the 'belt is now.

On Fri, 8/11/17,  <tmr0195@comcast.net> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [TML] What class of Port is this?
 To: "TML" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
 Date: Friday, August 11, 2017, 10:35 PM

 Evening
 PDT,

 If there are no ground installations
 because anything of value is mined from asteroids I can see
 a planet having only an orbital port facility. However, if
 there are facilities on a planet's surface I image there
 is some sort of port to allow transfer of material and
 personnel that only allows foreign vessels to dock at
 orbital facilities.

 Tom Rux

 From: "Phil
 Pugliese (via tml list)"
 <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
  Date: Friday, August
 11, 2017, 2:13 PM

  On 11
 Aug 2017 at 17:37, Phil
  Pugliese (via tml
 list) wrote:

 p.s.
  Anyone ever think about a situation
 where a planet might
  have a
  > HiPort but no DownPort?

  Well, a size 0 world might
 do
  that. Ditto for worlds with the
  stranger
  atmosphere
 types.

  And
  that's almost certainly the case with all
 red-zoned
  worlds and
  some amber.

  There could be other reasons as well, say
  there's a religion that
  considers the
  planet holy
 (think Mecca). They might only allow
  specially crewed and putified shuttles to
  land.

  And some of the
  stricter
 government types might have similar
  restrictions.

 Well,
 'asteroid' belts aren't really worlds or planets
 in my book.
 Even if a starport was
 'anchored' to one of the larger 'rocks', I
 don't think it would actually be considered a down
 port.
 Not as long as unstreamlined ships
 could dock.
 And there are red zone worlds
 that must have down ports, Andory & Candor in
 5sisters/spinward marches for example.
 They
 are Droyne worlds that are capable of starflight. In fact
 there's even a Droyne trading company hq'd there!
 Also, elsewhere in the 'Marches,
 there's Victoria, (where the weird starship in the 1st
 CT LBB double adventure, AnnicNova, came from.
 I believe that the writeup for the system was
 published in a CT JTAS article.
 Lastly, a
 lot would depend on the specifics of the Imperial Charter
 granted to a specific system. I can see where the ImpGov
 would insist on a downport, w/ it's attendant extrality
 zone, for various reasons.

 I can see where it might happen but I
 think it's be pretty rare.

 Archives at
 http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
 Report
 problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
 unsubscribe from this list please go to
 http://archives.simplelists.com

 -----
 The Traveller Mailing List
 Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
 Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
 To unsubscribe from this list please go to
 http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=EwREIRgLK8vaUEhNlnoNdSGKwnjoID8a