RE: Landing vs hovering (was Re: [TML] What class of Port is this?) Greg Aldridge (16 Aug 2017 08:06 UTC)

RE: Landing vs hovering (was Re: [TML] What class of Port is this?) Greg Aldridge 16 Aug 2017 08:05 UTC

On 16 August 2017 06:09 tmr0195 wrote:
> I feel that hovering would be a danger to anyone trying to service the craft's
> external hull and for the crew to perform maintenance on the systems needed to
> maintain the hover.

How much of a danger it is to anyone working on the external hull partly depends on how you envision CG working.  I.e., does it project a field that can be felt or is it only the CG drive itself that is lifted and that as a result of being built into the ship's structure lifts the ship.  I have to admit that I don't know the canon answer to questions like "do CG hover tanks crush the things they 'roll' over?".

As for maintenance of the CG systems that sounds like the kind of thing that you'd want to do at the highport.
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Spacedock_(Earth)?file=USS_Enterprise_approaches_the_Earth_Spacedock.jpg

In fact for a lot of ship maintenance tasks I can imagine that performing them in a controlled environment at the highport would make them easier.

Greg.

This Email and any files transmitted with it are intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any reading, redistribution, disclosure or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from your computer. E-mail may be susceptible to data corruption, interception, viruses and unauthorised amendment and Domino UK Limited<http://www.domino-printing.com/Channels/UK/eng/Home.aspx> does not accept liability for any such corruption, interception, viruses or amendment or their consequences.

Domino UK Limited<http://www.domino-printing.com/Channels/UK/eng/Home.aspx> Registered in England. Registered Number:1750201. Registered Office Address: Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8TU.