How many... Christopher Sean Hilton (17 Aug 2017 04:00 UTC)
Re: [TML] How many... Rupert Boleyn (17 Aug 2017 06:38 UTC)
Re: [TML] How many... Bruce Johnson (17 Aug 2017 17:53 UTC)
Re: [TML] How many... Rupert Boleyn (17 Aug 2017 22:09 UTC)
Re: [TML] How many... Richard Aiken (17 Aug 2017 22:44 UTC)
Re: [TML] How many... shadow@xxxxxx (23 Aug 2017 16:10 UTC)

On 18Aug2017 0553, Bruce  Johnson wrote:

>> On Aug 16, 2017, at 11:38 PM, Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com
>> <mailto:xxxxxx@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Type S scouts remain the property of the IISS, so far as I know (which
>> does raise the question of where prospectors get the hulls for their
>> Seekers), so the IISS may recycle or destroy most of the older Type S
>> ships, if only to keep value in their retirement incentive program
>> ("Be as good little Scout and you'll get your own Type S when you
>> 'retire'!”)
>
> "Recycle, destroy”...or part out, hence the Seeker hulls…
>
> Actually they wouldn’t even need to do that to keep up their incentive
> program: “You’ll get an IISS Certified used Type S, properly maintained
> and refurbished by IISS Depot certified mechanics.” What you find on the
> open market, eeehhh, not so much. Besides, I’ll wager that another perk
> of an ex-scout swinging by to get debriefed is that the debriefing goes
> both ways, albeit informally, plus PX shopping rights, and a free
> maintenance check on-base.  I know a bunch of retired AF folks (heck
> work with one, his desk is about 5 feet away…) and PX access is a
> greatly valued retirement benefit.

It was mainly just a thought on why the TU isn't buried in Type S
scout/couriers.

FWIW, I looked at NZ' Inland Revenue depreciation rates, and the only
things that have a rate similar to that which a starship would need to
have to be an attractive 40-year investment assuming break-even during
the repayment period are buildings with 100-year expected useful
lifespans. For tax purposes these have a 1.5% straight-line
depreciation, and a 2% diminishing value rate.

This implies that in the 3I a commercial starship in normal use will
last about a century, barring accident or intentional damage or
destruction (i.e. just allowing for normal wear and tear), assuming it's
properly looked after.

FWIW the same document assumes a 20-25 year life for seagoing vessels,
so the 3I will likely have a lot more ships relative to the yard
capacity than we expect to see today, because they last 4-5 times as
long as a ship does (not surprising given starships aren't sitting in a
brine bath their whole life).

--
Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
Chief Assistant to the Assistant Chief