Re: [TML] World Sensor systems, traffic control, etc on low population, low-mid tech level worlds Rupert Boleyn 23 Jan 2018 01:07 UTC

On 23Jan2018 1337, Catherine Berry wrote:
> I'm quite sure that in most TUs you can buy or lease a "Traffic Control
> in a Can" solution -- a packaged set of sensors, comm gear, and so
> forth, probably just about filling a standard shipping container. Unpack
> the components, attach the cables, install the antennas, hook it up to a
> generator, run the setup wizard software, and you have basic airspace
> and near orbital monitoring and management above the site. The automated
> traffic management system would be adequate to keep a moderate volume of
> traffic safely separated in flight, guide ships to appropriate landing
> and berthing positions, and so forth.
>
> Being a rather specialized need, there are probably only one or two
> vendors offering these in any particular region. So looking around after
> landing at a bare-bedrock port and seeing the familiar antenna gantry
> design of a GsbAg standard low-end traffic control kit would immediately
> tell an experienced spacer a lot about the world she'd just landed on.

I have it as a cutter module. For shipping the satellites (assuming you
bought the orbital sensor option) would be just packed inside the module
for shipping, along with the other exterior fittings (radio masts,
radars, etc.). Once at the destination the stuff is unpacked and the
module parked somewhere handy and set up. Inside it has a traffic
control room, office space for the port master, some storage space for
parts and records, accumulators and possibly a small fusion plant, and
all the other stuff needed for a small space port's sensors and traffic
control.

Same idea, slightly different packaging.

--
Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
Chief Assistant to the Assistant Chief