Surface mapping and traveller, alternate approaches Caleuche (14 Feb 2018 08:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] Surface mapping and traveller, alternate approaches Tim (14 Feb 2018 11:16 UTC)

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 03:33:58AM -0500, Caleuche wrote:
> I had some difficulty coming up with a good system for translating
> the flat traveller maps that you generate as part of the rules to a
> sphere and started to wonder if it wouldn't be useful (in some
> cases) when defining a world to not use hexes but points on the
> world defined in latitudes and longitudes

The icosahedral maps can be translated very directly into latitude and
longitude coordinates.  Latitude as just a linear function of height
on the map.  Longitude as just a proportion of number of map tiles
along a line of latitude (and so piecewise linear).

- Tim