What Type of Goverment Is This? Jeff Zeitlin (19 Feb 2018 03:23 UTC)
Re: [TML] What Type of Goverment Is This? Cian Witherspoon (19 Feb 2018 04:19 UTC)
Re: [TML] What Type of Goverment Is This? Kenneth Barns (20 Feb 2018 00:10 UTC)
Re: [TML] What Type of Goverment Is This? Phil Pugliese (20 Feb 2018 00:38 UTC)
Re: [TML] What Type of Goverment Is This? Cian Witherspoon (20 Feb 2018 02:53 UTC)
Re: [TML] What Type of Goverment Is This? Jerry Barrington (20 Feb 2018 14:00 UTC)
Re: [TML] What Type of Goverment Is This? Bruce Johnson (20 Feb 2018 16:56 UTC)
Re: [TML] What Type of Goverment Is This? Bruce Johnson (19 Feb 2018 19:17 UTC)

Re: [TML] What Type of Goverment Is This? Bruce Johnson 20 Feb 2018 16:55 UTC

> On Feb 20, 2018, at 7:00 AM, Jerry Barrington <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Unless it has changed in the past 18 years, Lubbock, Texas is *still* weird.  In the city, you can drink at a bar or restaurant, but you can't buy stuff to take off the premises.  However, *owning* alcohol remains legal, so there are liquor stores just outside the city limits on all the major roads out of town.
>
> People have been trying for decades to open up the city.  Of course the churches fight that, but so do the city councilmen.  I'm sure it's totally unrelated that multiple city councilmen *own* stores just outside of town…

And in other parts of Texas there are (or at least were until at least a few years ago) "drive through" BARS, where you could drive up, get a mixed drink to go and off you went.

Also, famously, the county in Tennessee where Jack Daniels whisky is made is dry.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona