Melting snow and solar energy, axial tilt Caleuche (20 Feb 2018 08:10 UTC)
Re: [TML] Melting snow and solar energy, axial tilt Tim (21 Feb 2018 00:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] Melting snow and solar energy, axial tilt Caleuche (21 Feb 2018 02:53 UTC)

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 03:10:43AM -0500, Caleuche wrote:
> I started looking at how to determine what the seasons would be
> like, or how far the polar caps might extend, on Home (as before,
> axial tilt 31 degrees, semimajor axis around 1.05 AU or so, sun
> luminosity star).
[...]
> In the meanwhile, take an object sitting on a field - the 800 DTon
> starship, for example, at the typical location of +55 degrees
> north. It's 20 days past the start of fall

I don't recall what the rotational period of Home was, nor the
atmosphere or hydro ratings.  Those are likely to have a strong effect
on minimum and maximum temperatures as well as the likelihood and
depth of snowfall and its melting.

So far Home seems an extremely Earthlike world, almost to the point of
being suspicious.  But then, that is a pretty common trope for space
opera: every planet that isn't explicitly made to be a "hell world" is
just like Earth, except maybe for one notable feature that doesn't
matter at all such as the colour of vegetation.

- Tim