Of Tangible Ghosts Jeff Zeitlin (04 Apr 2018 17:18 UTC)
Re: [TML] Of Tangible Ghosts Richard Aiken (13 Apr 2018 01:47 UTC)
Re: [TML] Of Tangible Ghosts Jeff Zeitlin (14 Apr 2018 18:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] Of Tangible Ghosts David Shaw (14 Apr 2018 19:11 UTC)

Re: [TML] Of Tangible Ghosts Jeff Zeitlin 14 Apr 2018 18:58 UTC

On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 21:47:15 -0400, Richard Aiken <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 1:18 PM, Jeff Zeitlin <xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com>
>wrote:
>
>> 13. Different people have different levels of sensitivity to the presence
>>     of a ghost - for some, they may never have more than a 'feeling' of
>>     something (the ghost) being nearby (this often expresses itself in the
>>     same sort of nervousness that unconscious exposure to a 14Hz tone
>>     does); others may only see a mist; still others can see more definite
>>     manifestations, or be communicated with (if the ghost is of
>>     sufficiently high volition). Those who can 'hear' ghosts do not
>>     actually hear a true sound; it is more accurately describable as a
>>     mental impression of the voice and words.
>>

>In CT terms, this might mean that only those with an active Psionic
>attribute could sense ghosts.

That had occurred to me as a possibility - my half-formed ideas on this
basically said "In this setting, ghosts - no 'psionics'". It may be a bit
more complicated than merely a straight-up "PSI equals how you perceive
ghosts", though, because ghosts fade away over time (and under certain
electromagnetic influences), so there might be something about the _ghost_
that affects how a given person perceives it.

It would be interesting to try to figure out what the Hivers (who are
canonically psi-blind) would say about the human ability to directly
perceive these 'ghost' things that Hivers are insensitive to - and how they
explain the readings they get from detecting the 'non-existent [to them]'
ghosts using apparatus built to human-developed spec.

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2018. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)