Vast ancient site built by equal society Timothy Collinson (10 Sep 2018 14:40 UTC)
Re: [TML] Vast ancient site built by equal society Cian Witherspoon (10 Sep 2018 18:12 UTC)
Re: [TML] Vast ancient site built by equal society Greg Nokes (10 Sep 2018 18:26 UTC)
Re: [TML] Vast ancient site built by equal society shadow97218@xxxxxx (12 Sep 2018 07:50 UTC)
Re: [TML] Vast ancient site built by equal society Phil Pugliese (10 Sep 2018 20:27 UTC)
Re: [TML] Vast ancient site built by equal society Gottfried Neuner (11 Sep 2018 08:53 UTC)
Re: [TML] Vast ancient site built by equal society Bruce Johnson (11 Sep 2018 16:54 UTC)

Re: [TML] Vast ancient site built by equal society shadow97218@xxxxxx 12 Sep 2018 07:49 UTC

On 10 Sep 2018 at 11:26, Greg Nokes wrote:

> But then as I thought about it, it started to make sense. People like
> to record their lives. Storage is durable, and just getting more so
> (look at the SD cards recovered from crashes) as time goes on. Not
> only that, if you are in a survival situation, you are going to work
> hard to make sure that the survivors have a good record of what you
> went through. Stashing some durable storage devices in a radiation
> proof safe every few days seems like a simple task.

M-Discs are pretty damn durable. Write-once, read-many, and as long
as you don't mechanically damage the media, they are projected to
last for a thousand or more years.

I understand that there's a version of them that uses a sapphire
substrate instead of the normal plastic. They're likely quite scratch
resistant, harder to crack (though far from impossible) and should
survive higher temperatures (limit will be when the "rock" that the
laser burns holes in will flow enough to distort the holes)

Radiation isn't going to damage them except at pretty insane levels.

They might last for a million years...