Proposed Theme Issue: Medical Charity Jeff Zeitlin (23 Sep 2018 20:32 UTC)
Re: [TML] Proposed Theme Issue: Medical Charity Edward Anderson (24 Sep 2018 13:33 UTC)
Re: [TML] Proposed Theme Issue: Medical Charity Cian Witherspoon (25 Sep 2018 05:09 UTC)
Re: [TML] Proposed Theme Issue: Medical Charity Jeff Zeitlin (25 Sep 2018 22:04 UTC)
Re: [TML] Proposed Theme Issue: Medical Charity Cian Witherspoon (25 Sep 2018 22:40 UTC)
Re: [TML] Proposed Theme Issue: Medical Charity Cian Witherspoon (25 Sep 2018 22:47 UTC)
Re: [TML] Proposed Theme Issue: Medical Charity Greg Nokes (25 Sep 2018 22:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] Proposed Theme Issue: Medical Charity Cian Witherspoon (25 Sep 2018 22:56 UTC)
Re: [TML] Proposed Theme Issue: Medical Charity Bruce Johnson (26 Sep 2018 13:30 UTC)
Re: [TML] Proposed Theme Issue: Medical Charity Edward Anderson (27 Sep 2018 02:46 UTC)
Re: Proposed Theme Issue:Medical Charity Jonathan Clark (25 Sep 2018 00:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: Proposed Theme Issue:Medical Charity Jeff Zeitlin (25 Sep 2018 01:04 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: Proposed Theme Issue:Medical Charity Jeff Zeitlin (25 Sep 2018 01:06 UTC)

Re: [TML] Re: Proposed Theme Issue:Medical Charity Jeff Zeitlin 25 Sep 2018 01:04 UTC

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 20:42:16 -0400, Jonathan Clark <xxxxxx@att.net>
wrote:

>Jeff Zeitlin wrote:
>
>>     The TAS does not publicise their involvement with the well-known charitable
>>     organization Compassion Corps.

>This must be a terrific idea :-) because I came up with something very similar for a
>recent campaign. In M (highly variant) TU I called them the Red Crystal (no prizes
>for guessing where the name came from), and in the campaign (at least) they were
>more oriented towards providing medical care for civilians affected by warfare (so
>a bit more MSF and a bit less natural-disaster, paint yours anyway you want),
>but there's no reason why the same organization couldn't do both. I never thought
>of associating them with TAS, but again, why not? It does make some sense.

I was actually thinking of MSF and Mercy Ships when I came up with this,
but I was specifically avoiding using those names, or anything associated
with the ICRC, because the latter is very protective of their trade/service
marks, and I felt it necessary to assume that the others are as well.

The 'backdoor' association with TAS made sense to me, as TAS seems to me to
be politically unaligned, and given what they do publicly for their
members, they've _got_ to be one of the wealthiest orgs in Charted Space.
So, why don't we hear about how wealthy the org is, or what they do with
all that wealth? Well, maybe it's because they don't make a big noise about
their involvement with other orgs and programs. So they plow some of that
money into charitable orgs, possibly for tax benefits, possibly for
guilt-assaugement, possibly out of moral conviction that one should do good
without being seen to do good, or whatever. The point is that orgs like
this have to be funded from somewhere in order to be able to do the sort of
things they do, free, yet you don't tend to hear about their funding
sources, just about their activities.

>I had them as completely independent, but with some support from various 'good guy'
>governments. EG a military hospital ship might, at the end of its useful life with
>a Fleet, simply be donated to the Red Crystal 'as is', rather than being stripped,
>broken up, and so on. Similarly, Red Crystal ships possessed something akin to
>diplomatic immunity, so attacks on them might be treated by Acts of War by some
>powers (and not by others, of course!). And the Red Crystal might, on occasional,
>call on these 'good guy' governments for aid. EG my campaign featured a pair of Red
>Crystal hospital ships kidnapped by an insurgency. The Red Crystal, having no military
>assets of its own, calls upon the Regency for help, and hilarity ensues.

And any of this could apply to Starships of Succor - who may use a
far-future version of the Red Crystal or Vilani, Luriani, Sylean, Geonee,
etc., equivalents, much the way any of the ICRC symbols - including the
Crystal - may be used today.

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2018. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)