[TML]Cool Bit Of PC Dialogue From The Expanse Books Richard Aiken (18 Oct 2018 22:26 UTC)
Re: [TML]Cool Bit Of PC Dialogue From The Expanse Books Richard Aiken (25 Oct 2018 01:30 UTC)
Re: [TML]Cool Bit Of PC Dialogue From The Expanse Books Kelly St. Clair (25 Oct 2018 03:25 UTC)
Re: [TML]Cool Bit Of PC Dialogue From The Expanse Books Jeff Rowse (30 Oct 2018 08:32 UTC)
Re: [TML]Cool Bit Of PC Dialogue From The Expanse Books shadow@xxxxxx (01 Nov 2018 17:30 UTC)
Re: [TML]Cool Bit Of PC Dialogue From The Expanse Books Rupert Boleyn (01 Nov 2018 20:05 UTC)

On 24 Oct 2018 at 20:25, Kelly St. Clair wrote:

> "There are four kinds of homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable,
> and praiseworthy." - Ambrose Bierce

This quote reminds me of a discussion about different legal systems a
while back.

Seems that unlike our legal/illegal setup, Islamic law has *five*
levels:

1. Required (ie things you *must* do)
2. Recommended (things you *should* do)
3. Permitted (things you are *allowed* to do)
4. Discouraged (things you *shouldn't* do)
5. Forbidden (things you *must not* do)

The levels of the actions on *both* sides of a case are compared. So
if you were doing a "required" and the other person was doing a
recommended, then odds are that they will be found at fault.

The Beirce quote covers levels 5, 4, 2 and 1 in that order. :-)

I leave it to the Evil GMs out there to consider the fun when the PCs
run into that sort of legal system.
--
Leonard Erickson (aka shadow)
shadow at shadowgard dot com