RE: [VT Dev] The ‘retail apocalypse’ is a myth, and that's good news for downtowns GENE BEAUDOIN (11 Oct 2019 10:39 EDT)

RE: [VT Dev] The ‘retail apocalypse’ is a myth, and that's good news for downtowns GENE BEAUDOIN 11 Oct 2019 10:39 EDT

David,

Here's an anecdote on "omni-channel" marketing.

I developed and own a Cabela's store in Maine. When it first opened 12 years ago Cabela's was relying on their mail-order customers. Each year they would send "members" their "bible" catalog which was two inches thick with a hardcover. Then they would heavily advertise by mail, email, and big promotions. The store I built for them is 117,000sf. It has 300 feet of guns on one wall with nine registers in that area. It has a taxidermy mountain that occupies about 15,000sf, a twelve thousand gallon fish tank, dioramas, and at the time about 8,000 fish poles on display. Their largest store at the time was 250,000sf which was was parked at 10/1 because the average customer visit was just under five hours.

At about the same time as the great recession, store visits slowed (gas prices) and they knew they had to much GLA. They also saw the explosion of internet sales coming. Most of their recently built stores today are 40,000sf. The big change is that on every counter is a computer screen on a swivel. So back in the much reduced fishing pole area, if they were displaying a 6' Ugly Stick and you wanted a 5' Ugly Stick, they show it to you on the computer screen and ask if you want it delivered to the store or to your house tomorrow. While disruptive to their 50 year model, they joined the omni-channel world. (Successfully)

Gene