Re: Black Hole Planets Re: [TML] Teaching my kids science: black holes & nebulae? Thomas Jones-Low 18 Apr 2014 11:44 UTC

On 4/17/2014 6:20 PM, shadow@shadowgard.com wrote:
> Unlikely.
>
> Thde *neutrino* flux from a supernova will be prompt lethal to humans
> at *Jupiter's* distance. That's 5.2 AU. The flux at 1 AU will be 27
> times higher.

	These neutrino flux calculations are from the core of the star, not the
surface. So yes, the neutrino flux at 5.2 AU from the *core* of the star is
lethal, but that's still inside the photosphere of a large star.

	Some references for you to double check:

http://what-if.xkcd.com/73/

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20120313045458/http://www.andrewkaram.com/andy/pdf/HPJ.pdf

> While there are radiation resitant bacteria, they aren't that common.
> So damn few things will survive the neutrino pulse. Most of those
> will die when several miles of the crust get melted/vaporized.

	For the Antares Supernova project I calculated, based upon known factors of the
supernova and assuming a brown dwarf + planet at a few hundred AU out, the
planet has ~150m of surface melted by the initial light blast. Then cools for a
year or so, allowing a few meters thickness of crust. Then the particle blast
wave hits, remelting the surface and an additional ~100m of crust. This depends
upon distance from the supernova. The paper referenced above should provide some
interesting details on the worlds around the supernova as the gamma ray blast
will have affected them too. In some cases quite badly.

--
         Thomas Jones-Low
Work:	tjoneslo@softstart.com