Re: Black Hole Planets Re: [TML] Teaching my kids science: black holes & nebulae? shadow@xxxxxx 18 Apr 2014 18:46 UTC

On 18 Apr 2014 at 7:44, Thomas Jones-Low wrote:

> On 4/17/2014 6:20 PM, xxxxxx@shadowgard.com wrote:
> > Unlikely.
> >
> > Thde *neutrino* flux from a supernova will be prompt lethal to humans
> > at *Jupiter's* distance. That's 5.2 AU. The flux at 1 AU will be 27
> > times higher.
> >

> 	These neutrino flux calculations are from the core of the star, not the
> surface. So yes, the neutrino flux at 5.2 AU from the *core* of the star is
> lethal, but that's still inside the photosphere of a large star.

Anything that big won't have planets with life on it. If it's that
big and on the main sequence, life never had time to evolve.

If it's not on the main sequence, the expansion phase would have
wiped out life as planets in the habitable zone first got baked, then
got "eaten" when the star expanded past them.

> 	For the Antares Supernova project I calculated, based upon known factors of the
> supernova and assuming a brown dwarf + planet at a few hundred AU out, the
> planet has ~150m of surface melted by the initial light blast. Then cools for a
> year or so, allowing a few meters thickness of crust. Then the particle blast
> wave hits, remelting the surface and an additional ~100m of crust. This depends
> upon distance from the supernova. The paper referenced above should provide some
> interesting details on the worlds around the supernova as the gamma ray blast
> will have affected them too. In some cases quite badly.

Frankly, that sort of thing is about the only way to get a habitable
planet close to a supernova.

Well, if life can evolve *after* a star in a double star system goes
white dwarf and *before* enough matter from the companion (assuming a
close binary) accumulates to cause a nova, or supernova.

Come to think of it, a binary with a white dwarf that does the
*periodic* nova bit might be intereesting.

--
Leonard Erickson (aka shadow)
shadow at shadowgard dot com