Re: SimpleLists, or Cordite?and thread-breaking posters David Jaques-Watson (27 Apr 2014 02:01 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: SimpleLists, or Cordite?and thread-breaking posters Freelance Traveller (27 Apr 2014 02:53 UTC)

Re: [TML] Re: SimpleLists, or Cordite?and thread-breaking posters Freelance Traveller 27 Apr 2014 02:53 UTC

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 12:01:32 +1000, "David Jaques-Watson"
<xxxxxx@pcug.org.au> wrote:

>OK, I've looked at the thread on the website, and my reply to Jeff didn't
>thread.

>This time I'm trying the "Reply to list" link within the digest, so we'll
>see if this one threads correctly. At least it's populated the Subject line
>correctly.

Nope. And it's not that you're doing something "wrong"; it's that the
digest simply doesn't provide the message-ids for the individual
messages in the digest - and I've never seen a digest format that does -
AND Outlook doesn't insert the In-Reply-To: header into messages. As
long as you stick with Outlook, you're going to break threads, even if
you changed from digest to individual messages (I call that
'reflector'), and as long as you stick with the digest, you're going to
break threads, even if you switch to one of the mail clients that other
users who aren't breaking threads use.  At "worst", you've made bad
choices, or had them made for you, with respect to format and mail
program, and I recognize that it's not always entirely within your
control, and/or there may be other factors involved that I'm not aware
of (and don't need to be).

>Jeff wrote:
>
>>a RFD-breaking bad idea

>What's RFD?

A typo. Should have been RFC, "Request for Comment", which is the
traditional name for some reason for the documents that have been
established as defining what are the standard practices with regards to
MANY aspects of internet data management. There's a library of them at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-index.html

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com
http://www.freelancetraveller.com
http://freelancetraveller.downport.com/

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2014. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

CyberNET Web Hosting (http://www.cyberwebhosting.net)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)