Re: Patton's sword & belaying pin, was Re: [TML] What if the cutlass is not a cutlass? Postmark (02 May 2017 06:44 UTC)

On 1 May 2017, at 23:18, Phil Pugliese (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:

> Don't remember the part about it being for 'thrusting' though but it does appear that it would be good for that.
> Only thing is; I can't help but wonder what technique would be used when engaging an enemy who is on foot while the trooper was mounted?

The note is that it is based on a Napoleonic heavy cavalry design.

I'm not sure about the French but the British had different swords for light and heavy cavalry, the light cavalry getting a curved sword for use in a close melee and the heavy cavalry getting a straight sword for use during a charge.

I think that the theory is that light cavalry would meet open order infantry, artillery and cavalry and get to ride around slashing at them. Heavy cavalry would be charging formed infantry or cavalry: if the charge broke the opposing formation then the straight sword might be less effective against fleeing opponents but if the formation held you weren't able to swing a sword at them anyway.

Phil Kitching