Re: Patton's sword & belaying pin, was Re: [TML] What if the cutlass is not a cutlass? Jeffrey Schwartz (02 May 2017 14:23 UTC)

Re: Patton's sword & belaying pin, was Re: [TML] What if the cutlass is not a cutlass? Jeffrey Schwartz 02 May 2017 14:22 UTC

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 6:18 PM, Phil Pugliese (via tml list)
<xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:

> Once I saw the pic it jogged my memory.
> (THANKS, Fred!)
>
> Don't remember the part about it being for 'thrusting' though but it does appear that it would be good for that.
> Only thing is; I can't help but wonder what technique would be used when engaging an enemy who is on foot while the trooper was mounted?

I at one point read and had a copy (I think pdf) of Patton's original
drill for using the 1913 pattern saber.
The whole training book.

It was a thrusting weapon, even when used from horseback. Odd kind of
grip for the charging attack - sort of an overhand lance grip, off to
the right, with the instruction to let the hand turn as you went past
the target so the blade would rotate out.