67P/GC anti-tail? Peter Carson (11 Nov 2021 19:57 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 67P/GC anti-tail? Nick James (11 Nov 2021 20:16 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 67P/GC anti-tail? Nick James (11 Nov 2021 20:27 UTC)

Re: [BAA Comets] 67P/GC anti-tail? Nick James 11 Nov 2021 20:16 UTC

Peter,

That is a good image of the anti-tail.

The normal reason for this is that we are seeing dust that has been
spread around the comet's orbit. This is the dust that would lead to an
annual meteor shower if it intersected the Earth's orbit. The effect is
normally only seen when the Earth is close to the comet's orbital plane
since we then see the dust edge-on. Since 67P is in a low inclination
orbit and is near to perihelion we are not far from that situation now.

The most famous of these anti-tail spikes was C/1956 R1 (Arend-Roland)
but there have been many more recent examples.

Nick.