67P/GC anti-tail? Peter Carson (11 Nov 2021 19:57 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 67P/GC anti-tail? Nick James (11 Nov 2021 20:16 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 67P/GC anti-tail? Nick James (11 Nov 2021 20:27 UTC)

Re: [BAA Comets] 67P/GC anti-tail? Nick James 11 Nov 2021 20:26 UTC

Peter,

A good recent example of this was C/2011 L4 (PanSTARRS). Have a look at
the images around the end of 2013 May close to the orbit plane crossing
here:

https://britastro.org/cometobs/2011l4/index.html

What we are seeing is dust far from the comet in the plane of the orbit
projected edge-on onto the sky. It can lead to a spectacular enhancement
of the visibility. The dust in the anti-tail can be a very long way away
from the nucleus and has spread out but stays pretty much in the orbital
plane.

We cross the orbital plane of C/2021 A1 (Leonard) around December 8th so
that might have a similar effect although it will be a very difficult
observation from the UK.

Nick.