Comet C/2022E3 (ZTF) this morning Peter Carson (26 Jan 2023 16:36 UTC)
RE: [BAA Comets] Comet C/2022E3 (ZTF) this morning Andrew Robertson (28 Jan 2023 00:22 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] Comet C/2022E3 (ZTF) this morning Nick James (28 Jan 2023 07:52 UTC)
RE: [BAA Comets] Comet C/2022E3 (ZTF) this morning Peter Carson (28 Jan 2023 15:21 UTC)
RE: [BAA Comets] Comet C/2022E3 (ZTF) this morning Andrew Robertson (28 Jan 2023 16:15 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] Comet C/2022E3 (ZTF) David Swan (29 Jan 2023 12:10 UTC)

Re: [BAA Comets] Comet C/2022E3 (ZTF) this morning Nick James 28 Jan 2023 07:52 UTC

Hi Andrew/Peter,

Thanks for your reports. The widefield image shows the long ion tail
nicely and Andrew's visual report gives a good description of what this
object looks like in binoculars.

I also took the opportunity to image the comet last night (Jan 27). It
clouded over in Chelmsford around 10pm but I had a session of around an
hour in moderately clear skies although there was always drifting high
cloud and the moon was a problem. I'm using a 72mm, f/4.8 refractor and
an ASI294MC camera for widefield. I got a total mag of 5.4 from the
green channel of my image and a coma diameter of around 23 arcmin. A
forked ion tail is faintly visible to the west extending out of the
image field of view.

The image is on the BAA website:

https://britastro.org/observations/observation.php?id=20230128_073836_4403751768d3944b

It is interesting to compare our observations with Gideon van Buitenen's
excellent simulation here:

http://astro.vanbuitenen.nl/resources/C2022E3_simulation.gif

The tails are just about to swing around very rapidly from our point of
view.

Nick.