12P tonight Peter Tickner (26 Feb 2024 21:36 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 12P tonight (2024 Feb 26) Nick James (26 Feb 2024 22:07 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 12P tonight (2024 Feb 26) Helen Usher (26 Feb 2024 22:35 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 12P tonight (2024 Feb 26) Nick James (26 Feb 2024 22:53 UTC)

Re: [BAA Comets] 12P tonight (2024 Feb 26) Nick James 26 Feb 2024 22:51 UTC

Helen,

The Seestar is a remarkable little telescope. It shows the ion tail well.

At the same time that my big scope was taking an image I had a smaller
scope taking a widefield view. This shows the ion tail to the edge of
the field and it shows that the sharp part is only for the first 20
arcmin or so. This looks like a classic disconnection in the tail where
the old ion tail has been pushed downstream and a new, collimated tail
is forming.

The 3x2 deg FoV image is here:

https://nickdjames.com/Comets/2024/12p_20240226_195139_ndj.jpg

I think we are approaching the time when a trip to a dark site with
portable equipment is in order!

Nick.