TL8 Passenger Cars ewan@xxxxxx (22 Dec 2019 22:51 UTC)
RE: [TML] TL8 Passenger Cars ewan@xxxxxx (24 Dec 2019 12:44 UTC)
Re: [TML] TL8 Passenger Cars Jeff Zeitlin (19 Feb 2020 00:10 UTC)
RE: [TML] TL8 Passenger Cars ewan@xxxxxx (19 Feb 2020 18:20 UTC)
Re: [TML] TL8 Passenger Cars Ethan McKinney (19 Feb 2020 18:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] TL8 Passenger Cars Jeff Zeitlin (20 Feb 2020 04:46 UTC)
Re: [TML] TL8 Passenger Cars kaladorn@xxxxxx (02 Apr 2020 03:28 UTC)

RE: [TML] TL8 Passenger Cars ewan@xxxxxx 19 Feb 2020 18:20 UTC

Hi Jeff,

Put them in as is, and add an explanation to go with them:

"Our glorious editor, Jeff, pointed out that if these were published as is
then he would likely get feedback to say that the range and duration on
these TL8 vehicles is significantly greater than present day cars, currently
on the market. And he is of course completely correct (as always (and as we
have come to expect)) ...

Please remember that MegaTraveller and its design system, used to build
these, is about 30 years old, and while it's had the benefits of 30 years or
Travellers pointing out it's inconsistencies and then subtly adjusting the
system to better fit reality, it was and still is pretty good at turning out
vehicles that approximate reality.

In this instance the Urban Class Passenger Car has a fuel tank that is
probably twice that of a car of today (26 gallons (imperial) vs 13 for a
Ford Mondeo Estate), and while it's MPG of around 34, isn't the best, it's
only 4 off the Mondeo in urban driving. It has a range of around 890 miles
(Imperial) against around 715 miles for the Mondeo (with efficient motorway
driving), and weighs about 600kg less than an unloaded Mondeo Estate. It's
also (adjusting for dollar inflation over the last 30 years) about 1/3 of
the price of a new Mondeo, and has 2.75 times the cargo capacity of my
chosen comparison vehicle, although it's top speed is rubbish.

The Urban E Class suffers the same against electric vehicles of today, it's
about twice the range, significantly cheaper with much more cargo capacity.

You can of course adjust the parameters to suit your game especially if
you're using Traveller rules to play a modern day Earth setting (which in
itself would be pretty cool ...), and I could probably play with the ratios
of the power of the engine and suspension and transmission of the wheels to
see if I could get the stats to better match reality, but hay I could also
leave that as a exercise for the reader ...

So while not perfect, they aren't way off, which ain't half bad, especially
given that the rules were published at the same time as the TML came into
being."

How's that?

Best regards,

Ewan