TL8 Passenger Cars ewan@xxxxxx (22 Dec 2019 22:51 UTC)
RE: [TML] TL8 Passenger Cars ewan@xxxxxx (24 Dec 2019 12:44 UTC)
Re: [TML] TL8 Passenger Cars Jeff Zeitlin (19 Feb 2020 00:10 UTC)
RE: [TML] TL8 Passenger Cars ewan@xxxxxx (19 Feb 2020 18:20 UTC)
Re: [TML] TL8 Passenger Cars Ethan McKinney (19 Feb 2020 18:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] TL8 Passenger Cars Jeff Zeitlin (20 Feb 2020 04:46 UTC)
Re: [TML] TL8 Passenger Cars kaladorn@xxxxxx (02 Apr 2020 03:28 UTC)

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 18:20:33 -0000, <xxxxxx@quibell.org.uk> wrote:

>Put them in as is, and add an explanation to go with them:

I think I'll revise the first and last paragraphs as shown... :) The rest,
modulo minor copyediting (which has been done on the text here) can pretty
much stand as-is... (I've deleted the reference to "Imperial" miles; unlike
gallons, miles are the same on both sides of the Atlantic.)

>"Our glorious editor, Jeff, pointed out that if these were published as is
>then he would likely get feedback to say that the range and duration on
>these TL8 vehicles is significantly greater than present day cars, currently
>on the market. And he is of course completely correct (as always (and as we
>have come to expect)) ...

"Author's Note: The range and duration of these vehicles is noticeably
greater than that of nominally similar present-day cars.

>Please remember that MegaTraveller and its design system, used to build
>these, is about 30 years old, and while it's had the benefits of 30 years of
>Travellers pointing out its inconsistencies and then subtly adjusting the
>system to better fit reality, it was and still is pretty good at turning out
>vehicles that approximate reality.
>
>In this instance, the Urban Class Passenger Car has a fuel tank that is
>probably twice that of a car of today (26 gallons (imperial) vs 13 for a
>Ford Mondeo Estate), and while its MPG of around 34 isn't the best, it's
>only 4 off the Mondeo in urban driving. It has a range of around 890 miles
>against around 715 miles for the Mondeo (with efficient motorway
>driving), and weighs about 600kg less than an unloaded Mondeo Estate. It's
>also (adjusting for dollar inflation over the last 30 years) about 1/3 of
>the price of a new Mondeo, and has 2.75 times the cargo capacity of my
>chosen comparison vehicle, although its top speed is rubbish.
>
>The Urban E Class suffers the same against electric vehicles of today: it's
>about twice the range, significantly cheaper with much more cargo capacity.
>
>You can of course adjust the parameters to suit your game especially if
>you're using Traveller rules to play a modern day Earth setting (which in
>itself would be pretty cool ...), and I could probably play with the ratios
>of the power of the engine and suspension and transmission of the wheels to
>see if I could get the stats to better match reality, but I could also
>leave that as a exercise for the reader ...
>
>So while not perfect, they aren't way off, which ain't half bad, especially
>given that the rules were published at the same time as the TML came into
>being."

So, while not perfect representations of the current state of the
technology, they aren't unresonably far off, especially given that the
rules were published just over thirty years ago."

"Editor's Note: The Ford Mondeo reference vehicle is marketed in the
Americas, the Middle East, and South Korea as the Ford Fusion. Imperial
gallons convert to US gallons at a 1:1.2 (5:6) ratio, and to liters at a
1:4.55 (20:91) ratio."

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)