Orbital elevator / beanstalk costs Alex Goodwin (03 May 2020 17:30 UTC)
Re: [TML] Orbital elevator / beanstalk costs Timothy Collinson (03 May 2020 21:12 UTC)
Re: [TML] Orbital elevator / beanstalk costs Phil Pugliese (03 May 2020 22:56 UTC)
Re: [TML] Orbital elevator / beanstalk costs Jeff Zeitlin (03 May 2020 23:17 UTC)
Re: [TML] Orbital elevator / beanstalk costs Alex Goodwin (04 May 2020 07:24 UTC)
Re: [TML] Orbital elevator / beanstalk costs kaladorn@xxxxxx (04 May 2020 08:08 UTC)
Re: [TML] Orbital elevator / beanstalk costs Bruce Johnson (07 May 2020 21:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] Orbital elevator / beanstalk costs Phil Pugliese (07 May 2020 22:07 UTC)
Re: [TML] Orbital elevator / beanstalk costs shadow@xxxxxx (05 May 2020 03:06 UTC)
Re: [TML] Orbital elevator /beanstalkcosts Jonathan Clark (06 May 2020 01:29 UTC)
Re: [TML] Orbital elevator /beanstalkcosts Rupert Boleyn (06 May 2020 03:48 UTC)
Re: [TML] Orbital elevator /beanstalkcosts Kelly St. Clair (06 May 2020 04:46 UTC)
Re: [TML] Orbital elevator /beanstalkcosts Alex Goodwin (06 May 2020 05:31 UTC)
Re: [TML] Orbital elevator /beanstalkcosts Kelly St. Clair (06 May 2020 08:52 UTC)

Re: [TML] Orbital elevator / beanstalk costs Alex Goodwin 04 May 2020 07:19 UTC

Phil,

Most likely yes, there would be at least some indigenous food production
- Trantor works out as pretty weak beer for an ecumenopolis.  (Capital
and Terra both have canonical populations of the same order of magnitude).

I was aiming somewhere between the tek revolt and the Sack of Trantor,
where (IIUC) there was no indigenous food production - it all had to be
imported.

Timeline concerns aside, full food import does give an upper bound on
what would be needed, cost and infrastructure-wise.

Thank you to those who have replied - it's helped me organise my
thoughts further.  I can work out the per-dton transfer cost via shuttle
service - that will serve as an upper bound on the actual cost, while I
wander off and try to find beanstalk cost data.

For these volumes, if an alternative method - such as catapult launch -
works out cheaper, it will be used, and if it's more expensive, it won't.

Alex