O/T: Quantum entanglement David Shaw (13 May 2020 19:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] O/T: Quantum entanglement James Davies (13 May 2020 20:33 UTC)
Re: [TML] O/T: Quantum entanglement David Shaw (13 May 2020 20:37 UTC)
Re: [TML] O/T: Quantum entanglement Thad Coons (13 May 2020 20:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] O/T: Quantum entanglement Thomas Jones-Low (13 May 2020 22:41 UTC)
Re: [TML] O/T: Quantum entanglement kaladorn@xxxxxx (13 May 2020 23:25 UTC)
Re: [TML] O/T: Quantum entanglement Timothy Collinson (14 May 2020 07:17 UTC)
Re: [TML] O/T: Quantum entanglement shadow@xxxxxx (18 May 2020 19:02 UTC)
Re: [TML] O/T: Quantum entanglement kaladorn@xxxxxx (18 May 2020 21:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] O/T: Quantum entanglement Richard Aiken (19 May 2020 17:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] O/T: Quantum entanglement shadow@xxxxxx (24 May 2020 16:39 UTC)

On 13 May 2020 at 20:57, David Shaw wrote:

> While we're talking physics...
>
> Every description I've read, watched or heard about quantum
> entanglement says that, when you change the properties of one of the
> particles, the properties of the other instantaneously change,
> regardless of how far apart they are.
>
> Really? Instantaneous? Or do they mean 'at the speed of light which,
> given the scale of the experiments we've carried out is so quick that
> it is, for all practical purposes, instantaneous'?

Poor description all around.

You aren't *changing* properties.

You are measuring one of a pair of "related" properties. Until you
make the mesaurement said properties do not have a value. Really.
They've proved this experimentally via some interesting tests.

But measuring it on one particle means that since the particles are
entangled, the other one must have the same value. So it is
instantaneous.

It's an example of quantum non-locality.

And yes, the experiments ruled out "speed of light" changes too.

--
Leonard Erickson (aka shadow)
shadow at shadowgard dot com