Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Freelance Traveller (08 Aug 2014 14:05 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Kurt Feltenberger (08 Aug 2014 16:59 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Kurt Feltenberger (08 Aug 2014 17:45 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Kelly St. Clair (08 Aug 2014 21:08 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Timothy Collinson (09 Aug 2014 21:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Freelance Traveller (09 Aug 2014 22:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Timothy Collinson (10 Aug 2014 14:10 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Thomas Jones-Low (10 Aug 2014 16:00 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Thomas Jones-Low (11 Aug 2014 03:05 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Thomas Jones-Low (11 Aug 2014 15:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Timothy Collinson (10 Aug 2014 14:13 UTC)

Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Timothy Collinson 10 Aug 2014 14:10 UTC

> On 9 Aug 2014, at 23:50, Freelance Traveller <editor@freelancetraveller.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 9 Aug 2014 22:57:29 +0100, Timothy Collinson
> <timothy.collinson@port.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>                         If you *want* a more Star Wars like milieux, it's
>> easy enough even without creating your own.  An index of Traveller aliens
>> [1] that have been published across all eras and books wouldn't be too
>> short.
>
>> tc
>> [1] hmmm! now there's a thought....
>
> Been done.

Of course, you're quite right although...

> I have a partial of it on Freelance Traveller, in conjunction
> with the currently-suspended Traveller:5641 Project (under Other Roads),
> at
> http://www.freelancetraveller.com/features/othroads/t5641/aliens.html,

...this looks good and has home worlds where possible but no
references to which sources they came from.  (I'm imagining 'first
mentions' and serious/major treatments).  Also it looks anything but
complete.

> and similar lists - with more information than mine - can be found at
> http://www.urbin.net/EWW/RPG/SV/TRAV/aliens.html and

Now that's nice - with notes on them.  But admits itself that it's not
exhaustive.  Which of course I'd aim for :-)

> http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Races/summary

And that's great for including sources (partially - see above) and
looks like the kind of comprehensive I'm after.  Perhaps I don't need
to add a new project to my exhaustive listings of skills, ships,
careers that I'm hoping BITS will do something with.  (Although those
three have been limited to Mongoose Traveller).

So brilliant work and thanks to all those who've worked on such
compilations.  I think all three make the point, however, that if you
wanted a cantina style scene, or a slightly different feel to a
Traveller campaign/adventure than most of us go for, then go for it.
It's quite possible!

tc

PS while I'm on the subject of exhaustive indexing and for anyone who
cares (apparently a few people have been asking BITS), I'm on holiday
at present at proofreading a very drafty version of all the new
additions to a planned third edition of my bibliography.  There are
some 160 pages and this is just the NEW stuff , so the finished thing
will probably be over 200 pages in it's smaller print font!  (Up from
60ish I think the 2nd edition was) That's the good news.  The bad news
is that I'm only on page 57 and there's only one page so far without
red ink.  Most have lots of the stuff.  So a lot to check and revise
yet.  However, it could be done by the end of the year perhaps.  That
would mean it's been three years in the making.

Would still love to hear from anyone who'd be interested in working on
a miniatures section. I'm happy to do the writing and layout etc, but
don't have the info.