Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Freelance Traveller (08 Aug 2014 14:05 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Kurt Feltenberger (08 Aug 2014 16:59 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Kurt Feltenberger (08 Aug 2014 17:45 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Kelly St. Clair (08 Aug 2014 21:08 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Timothy Collinson (09 Aug 2014 21:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Freelance Traveller (09 Aug 2014 22:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Timothy Collinson (10 Aug 2014 14:10 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Thomas Jones-Low (10 Aug 2014 16:00 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Thomas Jones-Low (11 Aug 2014 03:05 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Thomas Jones-Low (11 Aug 2014 15:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] Tech Estimate Question: James White's Educator Tapes? Timothy Collinson (10 Aug 2014 14:13 UTC)

On 8/10/2014 11:27 PM, William Ewing (via tml list) wrote:
> This email was sent from yahoo.com which does not allow forwarding of emails via
> email lists. Therefore the sender's email address (xxxxxx@yahoo.com) has been
> replaced with a dummy one.
>

>  >The only canon reference to the Cassilldan is the picture in Solomani & Aslan
>  >(p. 24), but there is no text associated. My notes show them as a throw away
>  >reference. If you have any more than that, I'd love to see it.
>
>  >I'm sure the reason the for the information you have is gleamed from the
>  >picture, which shows them as taller than the Zhodani (low-g make you taller?),
>  >and carrying a sword.
> Yup, pretty much, low-g means taller and skinnier, typically, and the sword
> means I can figure they're probably either barbarians or aristocrats with an
> archaic weapons fetish. The clothes look too sophisticated for barbarians, so I
> extrapolated a dueling culture. Not enough for a real hook, but that pic makes
> me *want* to turn them into something more than a throwaway race. Even if it's
> somebody's homebrew kitbash, that might give me the hook I need to either flesh
> out their vision to suit me, or to finally figure out a writeup as an
> alternative to that homebrew.

	My first thought on looking at the picture was similar. But that's a well worn
path.

	So what happens if the item hanging from his belt isn't a sword, but a
multi-purpose tool of some sort. So now you have a peaceful (probably),
technologically advanced, society.

	So wild speculation time: The star for Cassilldan world, normally a quiet main
sequence start, is in the early stages of becoming a red giant. Normally this is
a process which takes millions of years, but does have environmental effects
during the whole process. So the Cassilldan population has been, for the past
two thousand years, slowly building and moving onto a massive orbital structure.
It is a collection of spin gravity toruses, O'Neil cylinders, and other large
structures, tied together in a massive spiderweb and connected to a huge solar
sail. It is one of the largest constructed structures in charted space. The plan
is as the sun expands, the whole structure moves slowly outwards to maintain the
environmental balance.

	In addition to their massive project, the Cassilldans alternate between being
isolationist to the point of paranoia and being incredibly open and welcoming.

--
         Thomas Jones-Low
Work:	xxxxxx@softstart.com