Scouting in Your Traveller Universe Jeff Zeitlin (07 May 2023 01:25 UTC)
Re: [TML] Scouting in Your Traveller Universe Jeffrey Schwartz (07 May 2023 15:46 UTC)

Re: [TML] Scouting in Your Traveller Universe Jeffrey Schwartz 07 May 2023 15:45 UTC

IMTU -
Scouting exists . It's been suborned by the Imperium as a social
manipulation tool to correctly indoctrinate children.
It works through the Angler's Cost company, with the II Enri holovid
show and 'toys'/training tools

For my notes on the II Enri holovid show:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gctLoSo052KXokEQSa2pUeFsJnJfyrbc0OdBbIhV7h8/edit?usp=sharing

Wiki on Angler's Cost:
https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Angler%27s_Cost

It works a lot like Scouts/Guide, is gender neutral (boys, girls,
hivers, whatever)
There's merit badges for demonstrating skills (typical examples :
https://www.milsci.ucsb.edu/sites/secure.lsit.ucsb.edu.mili.d7/files/sitefiles/resources/STP%2021-1-SMCT,%20Warrior%20Skills,%20Level%201.pdf)

There are world specific skills. One is the "Participated in <planet
name> World Exercise" which is basically a week long jamboree/wargame
for all the kids on that world  The events of the 1117 games are the
climax of the "II Enri" adventure thread in my Carmel Book
(https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qla9L50gw5xyK1QdBkkqm6DpmZ7lsUTqdOfZug6o76M/edit?usp=sharing)

One of the Carmel specific badges is "Indigene Interaction" , in which
the recipient has successfully talked the Indigenes into letting them
visit one of the villages. Considering the typical Indigene view of
the Imperials is "If I ignore you, the weather conditions on the
planet will kill you more quickly and painfully than what I could get
away with", getting a positive relationship with one is difficult.
Perhaps one 'Enri' in 100 on the planet has this badge. Almost all of
them are also members of CATS (Carmel Auxiliary Telcom Society) and
initiated the communication over radio

There is an II Enri badge for being part of the Imperial Auxiliary
Telcom Service, which is the Imperium wide version of CATS and is a
pre-req for membership in CATS.

There's a variety of camping/survival related badges, but they're only
Carmel specific in the criteria needed to obtain them, rather than
being II Enri specific. "Cold World Survival" for example has where
and what times of the year and what equipment is permitted being
adjusted for local situations, but it's the same badge for everybody
regardless of world. An 'Enri' on Terra could get it for spending 2
weeks of winter in Antarctica. A Carmel Enri could get it for just
about anywhere outside the tropics during late fall through early
spring.