Can I M-drive my way to the speed of light? kaladorn@xxxxxx (26 May 2023 06:23 UTC)
Re: [TML] Can I M-drive my way to the speed of light? Jeffrey Schwartz (26 May 2023 08:12 UTC)
Re: [TML] Can I M-drive my way to the speed of light? kaladorn@xxxxxx (26 May 2023 14:51 UTC)
Re: [TML] Can I M-drive my way to the speed of light? Jeffrey Schwartz (26 May 2023 14:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] Can I M-drive my way to the speed of light? greg nokes (26 May 2023 16:35 UTC)
Re: [TML] Can I M-drive my way to the speed of light? kaladorn@xxxxxx (22 Jul 2023 03:21 UTC)
Re: [TML] Can I M-drive my way to the speed of light? James Catchpole (22 Jul 2023 08:35 UTC)
Re: [TML] Can I M-drive my way to the speed of light? Jeffrey Schwartz (22 Jul 2023 10:07 UTC)
Re: [TML] Can I M-drive my way to the speed of light? James Catchpole (22 Jul 2023 10:33 UTC)
Re: [TML] Can I M-drive my way to the speed of light? Ethan McKinney (26 May 2023 16:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] Can I M-drive my way to the speed of light? Alex Goodwin (26 May 2023 19:18 UTC)

Re: [TML] Can I M-drive my way to the speed of light? Jeffrey Schwartz 26 May 2023 14:57 UTC

On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 10:52 AM kaladorn at gmail.com (via tml list)
<xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:

> Is that drop off mentioned in T5? Or SOM v 1? I don't recall that in CT.

It's in MT, T4, TNE and T5
I think you might be right that it's not in CT

> The question that started it all was a discussion about how fast you could go in combat in Traveller.

Very fast. But the key is how fast are you going in relation to the
other guy.... because that's where engagement duration comes from.

> I know I'd not be ignoring relativity regardless of what any rule says, but I am curious if the new versions of the game would stipulate that relativistic effects are in play or not.

The T5 NAFAL drive rules include relativistic time dilation.
In combat, though... if you're going that fast compared to the other
guy, you're only going to get one shot

> Another thing to search in the literature...
>
> Thanks for the T5 perspective.

My comment about T5 is it's CT with all the bug-fixes and explanations in place.
I'm looking forward to T9, which will someday be T5 with all the bug
fixes in place.