A quotations I'm looking for kaladorn@xxxxxx (16 Feb 2024 17:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] A quotations I'm looking for Jeff Zeitlin (16 Feb 2024 18:21 UTC)
Re: [TML] A quotations I'm looking for Mark Urbin (18 Feb 2024 17:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] A quotations I'm looking for kaladorn@xxxxxx (19 Feb 2024 02:33 UTC)
Re: [TML] A quotations I'm looking for NotKnown AtThisAddress (19 Feb 2024 13:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] A quotations I'm looking for Shannon Appelcline (16 Feb 2024 19:27 UTC)
Re: [TML] A quotations I'm looking for Jeffrey Schwartz (16 Feb 2024 20:01 UTC)
Re: [TML] A quotations I'm looking for Timothy Collinson (17 Feb 2024 06:26 UTC)
Re: [TML] A quotations I'm looking for Ethan McKinney (18 Feb 2024 03:12 UTC)
Re: [TML] A quotations I'm looking for kaladorn@xxxxxx (19 Feb 2024 02:31 UTC)
Re: [TML] A quotations I'm looking for Thomas Jones-Low (18 Feb 2024 15:25 UTC)

On 2/16/2024 12:14 PM, kaladorn at gmail.com (via tml list) wrote:
> I think it was said by Marc Miller but maybe not. It was a sci fi related quote
> and I remember it in terms of sci fi RPGs.
>
> The gist of it was that you should be doing X (I forget exactly what X was)
> rather than 'accounting in space'.
>
> I think it was a bit of a comment that the game wasn't meant to be adventures in
> accounting...
>
> But I can't pull the actual quote and Timothy Collison couldn't find it either
> but we both sort of remember something of that effect.
>
> I suppose it could have been said by Wiseman or some of the others of Traveller
> over the years but I either saw it in an article or an interview or on some list
> like this one.
>
> Anyone else vaguely remember this?

	I recall reading the quote or versions of it on the GURPS Traveller newsgroup
boards. These are now long gone, though someone may have partial archives
squirreled away.

	I don't remember anyone central to Traveller using the quote (e.g. Loren, Marc,
or Steve). It was usually used as a disparaging remark about the amount of math
and calculations, especially with GURPS, to perform what should be simple things.

	"It should be Adventures in the Far Future not Adventures in Accurate Accounting".

	The two groups who would most often make this remark would be either the
Referees in the "Roll and shout" school of RPG Play. Or the writers becoming
angry during the playtest sessions with the Canon Grongards pointing out you
can't do X because a book 30 years ago said Y.

--
         Thomas Jones-Low
Work:	xxxxxx@softstart.com