sensor buoys (was berthing) Grimmund (25 Jun 2015 21:12 UTC)
Re: [TML] sensor buoys (was berthing) Ethan McKinney (25 Jun 2015 21:28 UTC)
Re: [TML] sensor buoys (was berthing) John Geoffrey (26 Jun 2015 02:05 UTC)
Re: [TML] sensor buoys (was berthing) Orffen (26 Jun 2015 05:24 UTC)
Re: [TML] sensor buoys (was berthing) shadow@xxxxxx (26 Jun 2015 07:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] sensor buoys (was berthing) shadow@xxxxxx (26 Jun 2015 07:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] sensor buoys (was berthing) Grimmund (26 Jun 2015 11:29 UTC)

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 3:34 PM, Orffen <xxxxxx@orffenspace.com> wrote:

>> Have your fleet timed to arrive at location X  an hour before the wave
>> front from your spy buoy crosses that location.
>
> In at least one rule set (MgT I think), the time you spend in jump is 1
>week +/- a random amount of time — up to a day if I'm not misremembering.
>That uncertainty makes coordinating fleet movements that precisely pretty difficult.

 168 hours +/- 10%, with some potential for adjustment based on skills
depending on exact rules set.

But the timing of the spy buoy nav data dump doesn't have to be
terribly precise.

Start beaming data toward the projected jump-in point shortly before
the expected arrival date/time.

Continue transmitting until:
a) programmed window closes
b) proper new orders recieved
c) destruction
d) power levels drop below useful.

(Note, if it's got solar cells, it can sit and recharge the batteries
and resume lurking and/or transmitting.)

Nav data can be on a loop, and continually updating from the spy
bouy's postion/point of view, for as long as the power holds out.

Presumably, once you start transmitting, eventually, local units
somewhere along your transmission beam will eventually pick up the
signal, have a WTF moment, and then start the process of catching or
destroying an unauthorized intel buoy.  Best keep quiet and reduce
that risk until

Note that this also means that picking the spot to dump the buoy
becomes a moderatly complex problem if you want to minimize the odds
of it being noticed.  Determine approximate location of fleet arrival,
then pick a spot where you can dump the spy buoy such that the
transmission from the buoy to the fleet will not have any local assets
beyond the fleet.

However, dumping the spy buoy has to be done in a manner that will not
arrouse a lot of suspicion, or far enough out from local resources
that nobody will bother chasing it down.

And if the locals DO chase it down, they have an opportunity to fill
it with all sorts of WRONG information, and if they are fast enough,
to potentially set up along the projected flight path of the incoming
fleet, and have all their units active, fully crewed, and deployed
alert when the invader units jump in.

Unless, of course, the spy buoy is a disinformation ploy, and the real
buoy and arrival point are somewhere/sometime else...

Dan

--

"Any sufficiently advanced parody is indistinguishable from a genuine
kook." -Alan Morgan