Re: Understanding batteries and solar and motors. robocon@xxxxxx (06 Oct 2015 23:38 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Jeffrey Schwartz (07 Oct 2015 13:17 UTC)
RE: [TML] Re: Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Michael Fischer (08 Oct 2015 06:11 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Bruce Johnson (07 Oct 2015 16:09 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: Understanding batteries and solar and motors. shadow@xxxxxx (08 Oct 2015 06:16 UTC)
AW: [TML] Re: Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Michael.Fischer.Bonn@t-online.de (08 Oct 2015 12:55 UTC)
RE: [TML] Re: Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Anthony Jackson (08 Oct 2015 18:56 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Bruce Johnson (08 Oct 2015 20:30 UTC)
RE: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Anthony Jackson (08 Oct 2015 21:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Craig Berry (08 Oct 2015 22:02 UTC)
RE: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Phil Pugliese (09 Oct 2015 13:38 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. shadow@xxxxxx (09 Oct 2015 07:03 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Phil Pugliese (09 Oct 2015 15:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Jeffrey Schwartz (09 Oct 2015 15:44 UTC)
RE: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Anthony Jackson (09 Oct 2015 16:43 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Bruce Johnson (09 Oct 2015 20:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Phil Pugliese (09 Oct 2015 22:32 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. shadow@xxxxxx (11 Oct 2015 03:40 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Kenneth Barns (16 Oct 2015 22:19 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Phil Pugliese (07 Oct 2015 16:13 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Bruce Johnson (07 Oct 2015 17:30 UTC)

RE: [TML] Re: Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Michael Fischer 08 Oct 2015 06:11 UTC

Taking a car of 2 tons weight and 2 m� front area as an example, running with
pneumatic tyres on asphalt concrete roads on a levelled surface on a wind
still day.
To accelerate it to 100 km/h within 12 seconds, you need 57.2 kW net, to
overcome inertia, rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag. You have to cater
for the drivetrain losses, too, so you might need some 82.6 kW gross. And, of
course, you need power for your air conditioning, power steering, windshield
wipers, &c.
Of course, that's just for a couple of seconds, and if running smoothly at 50
km/h, you need only 3.71 kW net for rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag
(without climbing or wind forces, of course), at 90 km/h 10.6 kW net, at 120
km/h, 20.1 kW net. Plus the drive train losses, plus the power for the
auxiliary systems.

On average, a diesel car in Germany is running 17,500 km per year, and there
is a VW Golf with a nominal consumption of 4.2 litres/100 km (56 mpg) -
normally a real-life consumption will be about 25% higher, say, 5.3 litres/100
km (44.8 mpg). So we're talking 918.75 litres diesel per year, IOW, 983 kWh.
An electric engine might be 60-100% more efficient, so 614 kWh might suffice
(disregarding all the losses in charging/discharging the batteries - so add
another 20% - and alternating/rectifying -so add another 10-15%. Of course, as
the specific energy and energy density of the batteries is much smaller than
of the diesel, you might end up with a heavier and bulkier vehicle, so this
might add to your consumption ...).

Solar constant above Earth's atmosphere is about 1,350 W/m�, in mid-latitudes
due to absorption, scattering and reflection by the air mass about 930 W/m�,
due to water vapours, aerosols, photochemical smog, and the effects of
temperature inversion, about 870 W/m� on average. As the surface of a globe is
four times the surface of a disk, you will have on average 1/4 of this. And
as, for physical reasons (blackbody radiation, radiative recombination,
spectrum losses) 33.7% are the theoretical maximum efficiency of a solar cell.
The 24% achieved might be very close to the practical real-life limit. To get
our 614 kWh per annum, you might need about 1.34 m� of this quality (24%
efficiency). It will be somewhat more as the cells won't be perpendicular to
the insolation all the time ...

-- Michael