Re: Understanding batteries and solar and motors. robocon@xxxxxx (06 Oct 2015 23:38 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Jeffrey Schwartz (07 Oct 2015 13:17 UTC)
RE: [TML] Re: Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Michael Fischer (08 Oct 2015 06:11 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Bruce Johnson (07 Oct 2015 16:09 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: Understanding batteries and solar and motors. shadow@xxxxxx (08 Oct 2015 06:16 UTC)
AW: [TML] Re: Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Michael.Fischer.Bonn@t-online.de (08 Oct 2015 12:55 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Phil Pugliese (07 Oct 2015 16:13 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Bruce Johnson (07 Oct 2015 17:30 UTC)
RE: [TML] Re: Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Anthony Jackson (08 Oct 2015 18:56 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Bruce Johnson (08 Oct 2015 20:30 UTC)
RE: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Anthony Jackson (08 Oct 2015 21:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Craig Berry (08 Oct 2015 22:02 UTC)
RE: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Phil Pugliese (09 Oct 2015 13:38 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. shadow@xxxxxx (09 Oct 2015 07:03 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Phil Pugliese (09 Oct 2015 15:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Jeffrey Schwartz (09 Oct 2015 15:44 UTC)
RE: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Anthony Jackson (09 Oct 2015 16:43 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Bruce Johnson (09 Oct 2015 20:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Phil Pugliese (09 Oct 2015 22:32 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. shadow@xxxxxx (11 Oct 2015 03:40 UTC)
Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Kenneth Barns (16 Oct 2015 22:19 UTC)

Re: [TML] Understanding batteries and solar and motors. Bruce Johnson 09 Oct 2015 20:49 UTC

> On Oct 9, 2015, at 9:43 AM, Anthony Jackson <xxxxxx@iii.com> wrote:
>
> From: Jeffrey Schwartz
>
>>> Back when I was into moto-cross the rule of thumb, for motorcycles anyway, was that one lb of unsprung weight = 3-5 lbs of sprung weight as far as handling was concerned...
>>>

>> I wonder how that changes with "active suspension" technologies?
>
> Well, the active suspension will need to be bigger and more powerful if it's controlling bigger wheels, so there's a fair chance that it's even worse with active suspension. However, just cutting down the number and length of mechanical links can help, and there are control advantages to being able to apply force to each wheel separately, so one motor per wheel has likely benefits no matter what.

Also I wonder how much of that rule of thumb applies when the ‘unsprung weight’ is essentially the wheel itself, especially in the case of hub motors.

Heavier wheels will be better gyroscopes, and thus harder to change direction quickly, but this is the same problem that motorcycles face, and they adjust by leaning; also with four independently steering drive wheels you can do some really cool stuff, like steer each end of the car in a different direction to get turned.

I remember a long time ago (ca. 1969-72-ish, maybe as late as '75) reading a Popular Science article about a car with just that kind of setup.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona