EMP protection under a volcano? Timothy Collinson (08 Mar 2016 12:59 UTC)
Re: [TML] EMP protection under a volcano? Thomas Jones-Low (08 Mar 2016 13:22 UTC)
Re: [TML] EMP protection under a volcano? Timothy Collinson (08 Mar 2016 13:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] EMP protection under a volcano? Richard Aiken (09 Mar 2016 00:59 UTC)
Re: [TML] EMP protection under a volcano? Tim (09 Mar 2016 02:59 UTC)
Re: [TML] EMP protection under a volcano? Bruce Johnson (09 Mar 2016 03:41 UTC)
Re: [TML] EMP protection under a volcano? Timothy Collinson (09 Mar 2016 07:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] EMP protection under a volcano? Knapp (11 Mar 2016 18:31 UTC)

Re: [TML] EMP protection under a volcano? Thomas Jones-Low 08 Mar 2016 13:22 UTC

	As long as there are no conductors to the surface, 600m of rock alone should be
enough to protect against the EM pulse of the Maghiz. 10m of rock should stop
any EMP short of one strong enough to melt it.

	Of course the Maghiz in and of it self makes no sense. The inverse square law
ensures if the EMP was strong enough to fry electronics on a world 1-2 parsecs
away, the pulse would have been strong enough to bake the entire surface of
Darrian to the melting point.

	What may be more interesting than Conductors would be layers of insulators.
Mica for example, is a really good insulator. So a thick layer (or three) of
mica would be an interesting, very noticeable, and easy to explain reason for
the surviving a really strong EMP.

--
         Thomas Jones-Low
Work:	xxxxxx@softstart.com