Re: Incredibly efficient! was Re: [TML] L-Hyd not necessary for jumping & misc.... Bruce Johnson (25 May 2016 16:40 UTC)

Re: Incredibly efficient! was Re: [TML] L-Hyd not necessary for jumping & misc.... Bruce Johnson 25 May 2016 16:40 UTC

> On May 24, 2016, at 9:48 PM, Tim <xxxxxx@little-possums.net> wrote:
>
> Spacetime behaves very differently from water.  For example, an object
> moving at constant velocity does not radiate gravitational waves at
> all.  An accelerating one does, but in most cases *extremely* weakly,
> with radiated power something like G (m v a)^2 / c^5.  So for
> Traveller vehicles, typically 10^-18 watts or less.

This is what I’ve always loved about this list…ask a rocket-science question, you get an actual rocket-science answer!

Thanks for the explainer, Tim!

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona