Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Freelance Traveller (17 Jul 2016 17:17 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Jeffrey Schwartz (19 Jul 2016 14:40 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Kelly St. Clair (27 Jul 2016 04:39 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Timothy Collinson (21 Jul 2016 21:28 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Jeffrey Schwartz (22 Jul 2016 13:19 UTC)
(missing)
(missing)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Timothy Collinson (22 Jul 2016 18:35 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Jim Catchpole (07 Aug 2016 14:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Bruce Johnson (22 Jul 2016 17:16 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Timothy Collinson (22 Jul 2016 18:21 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Richard Aiken (23 Jul 2016 05:53 UTC)
RE: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation timothy (23 Jul 2016 12:05 UTC)
RE: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Jeffrey Schwartz (23 Jul 2016 14:51 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Richard Aiken (24 Jul 2016 01:10 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Richard Aiken (24 Jul 2016 01:08 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Evyn MacDude (23 Jul 2016 20:06 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation shadow@xxxxxx (24 Jul 2016 07:17 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Evyn MacDude (24 Jul 2016 08:38 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Timothy Collinson (27 Jul 2016 18:53 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Kelly St. Clair (27 Jul 2016 19:44 UTC)
Re[2]: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Timothy Collinson (27 Jul 2016 19:48 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation shadow@xxxxxx (28 Jul 2016 19:35 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Richard Aiken (29 Jul 2016 00:46 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Timothy Collinson (29 Jul 2016 21:26 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Richard Aiken (30 Jul 2016 07:45 UTC)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Timothy Collinson (30 Jul 2016 17:03 UTC)
(missing)
(missing)
(missing)
Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation Richard Aiken (30 Jul 2016 19:34 UTC)

Re: [TML] Thoughts on Animals, and a Solicitation shadow@xxxxxx 28 Jul 2016 19:34 UTC

On 27 Jul 2016 at 12:44, Kelly St. Clair wrote:

> And a final variant on the "poisonous" entry, which applies as much or
> more to plants - imagine something like poison ivy or stinging
> nettles, or bees or jellyfish, whose oil or neurotoxin or whatever
> produces the expected skin reaction and other symptoms (and may
> actually still be harmful!), but /feels/ really... "good."  Like,
> really REALLY "good." *cough*

If you've ever read the Darkover books, there's a phenomenon known as
the "ghost wind". When the season, and weather conditions are *just*
right, you get a massive release of pollen from this one particular
flower that grows wild.

The pollen is a hallucinogen. Fairly potent.

Worse, it also tends to act as a psi trigger/amplifier (extract of
the flowers is used for treating some problems unique to psis)

Oh yeah, another fun one. For those parties that get a bit to free
with the energy weapons. The plant isn't poisonous. But in the dry
season it's *insanely* flammable. goes up like a campfire doused with
gasoline. (There are a number of real world equivalents).

One stray shot from that laser or whatever and you are dealing with a
nasty fire. Or worse if there were several of them.

If it's some sort of bush in a prairie, you are now trying to outrun
a major grassfire. Not much of a problem with an air raft. *Big*
problem if you are on foot. Or if the air raft is on the other side
of the fire.

And speaking of fire, there are a number of harmless looking plants
that are a really *bad* idea to burn. Ones that don't do anything if
you *touch* them.

Seems that cascara(sp?) looks a lot like alder. And a frind tells of
the time some other scouts (from a troop his troop had "history"
with) cheerfuylly cut down a bunch of cascara for firewood and
(worse) as sticks to use for roasting hot dogs and marshmallows.

Cascara is gathered for medicinal properties. the food absorbed
enough of the proper chemical to be effective. Worse, the smoke from
burning the branches also carried the same chemical.

As I recall, it's the main active ingredient in Ex-Lax.

And what the heck, be it airborne or contact, you can have fun (or
embarass) the party *and* give them a money making export when they
discover that [some plant] is a *potent* aphrodisiac. <eg>

--
Leonard Erickson (aka shadow)
shadow at shadowgard dot com