Re: [TML] WAS Zhodani: Technologically challenged? NOW Frontier Wars Rupert Boleyn (24 Jan 2018 22:46 UTC)
I goofed with a reply from Matt Stevens Thomas RUX (24 Jan 2018 18:00 UTC)

On 24Jan2018 1028, Kurt Feltenberger wrote:
> On 1/23/2018 2:52 PM, David Shaw wrote:
>> Which is why I've always had a problem with the Frontier Wars - the
>> Fifth in particular. Why would the Zhodani attack a numerically and
>> technologically superior foe? Especially without provocation and
>> *especially* especially when your one tactical and strategic advantage
>> has been nullified by the development of psi-shields?
>>
>> OK, it makes for a fun and interesting background to run a campaign
>> in, but it seems like it's just one more in the list of Dubious Facets
>> of Traveller.
>>
>> Ho-hum. :-)
>>
>> David Shaw
>
> ISTR that the Zhodani never launched the Frontier Wars in the
> expectation that they'd defeat the Imperium and gain broad swaths of
> territory, but rather they were more to remind the Imperium that there
> was a border and that they shouldn't keep trying to push it into space
> already claimed/settled by the Consulate.  Slowly but surely, the Zho
> have been expanding into the Spinward Marches, and while the Imperium
> gets to claim that they "won", looking at the long game, they really
> haven't.

Besides, they really only lost due to Norris getting that Charter and
thus having a fig-leaf to cover his little coup. This was not something
they could allow for, and I've no doubt their planning  did allow for
the 3I's commanders at the FFW's start being sub-par. Also, the Zho's
didn't lose a whole lot, unlike the Sword-Worlders, who the Zho's pretty
much left to their fate in the post-war peace settlements.

--
Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
Chief Assistant to the Assistant Chief