Aerobraking and apogee Caleuche (29 Jan 2018 08:35 UTC)
Re: [TML] Aerobraking and apogee Thomas Jones-Low (30 Jan 2018 00:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] Aerobraking and apogee Rupert Boleyn (30 Jan 2018 00:24 UTC)
Re: [TML] Aerobraking and apogee Tim (30 Jan 2018 01:04 UTC)
Re: [TML] Aerobraking and apogee Caleuche (30 Jan 2018 05:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] Aerobraking and apogee Kelly St. Clair (30 Jan 2018 06:28 UTC)
Re: [TML] Aerobraking and apogee Caleuche (30 Jan 2018 06:53 UTC)
Re: [TML] Aerobraking and apogee Caleuche (30 Jan 2018 01:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] Aerobraking and apogee Caleuche (30 Jan 2018 03:11 UTC)
Re: [TML] Aerobraking and apogee Tim (30 Jan 2018 04:10 UTC)

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 10:11:10PM -0500, Caleuche wrote:
> What is the point of Traveller for all of you? Pure action-adventure
> bubblegum? Or more of a slow, long term exploration of a setting,
> investigating how human culture and civilization might plausibly
> evolve as average communication times increase dramatically? Or more
> of a setting playground, constantly adding bits of detail for its
> own sake, knowing it might never be played?

I don't know about *action* adventure in the sense of blazing lasers
every session, but definitely adventure of various sorts.  Friction
with expectations and norms in various star systems, conflict with
quite a lot of people and organizations who may be adversely affected
by the PCs actions, unexpected consequences of seemingly reasonable
actions, natural phenomena that pose serious trouble of various sorts.
Most session didn't involve outright violence, but often dangerous
situations where things could easily get much worse with the wrong
decisions, and might be better with good ones.

I tend to enjoy other settings more for their take on future evolution
of culture, whereas most of Traveller strikes me as current or past
civilizations blown out to interstellar scale.  I do enjoy fiddling
with setting details that may never come up in play.  I have files on
about a hundred NPCs that never made their way into any session, for
example.

- Tim