Story Help Kurt Feltenberger (06 Feb 2018 06:03 UTC)
Re: [TML] Story Help Kurt Feltenberger (06 Feb 2018 06:06 UTC)
Re: [TML] Story Help Cian Witherspoon (06 Feb 2018 08:10 UTC)
Re: [TML] Story Help Kurt Feltenberger (07 Feb 2018 04:01 UTC)
Re: [TML] Story Help Tim (06 Feb 2018 08:54 UTC)
Re: [TML] Story Help Catherine Berry (06 Feb 2018 17:33 UTC)
Re: [TML] Story Help Caleuche (06 Feb 2018 20:38 UTC)
Re: [TML] Story Help Catherine Berry (06 Feb 2018 20:47 UTC)
Re: [TML] Story Help Cian Witherspoon (06 Feb 2018 21:11 UTC)
Re: [TML] Story Help Tim (07 Feb 2018 03:46 UTC)
Re: [TML] Story Help Kurt Feltenberger (07 Feb 2018 03:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] Story Help Kurt Feltenberger (07 Feb 2018 03:56 UTC)
Re: [TML] Story Help Catherine Berry (07 Feb 2018 04:28 UTC)
Re: [TML] Story Help Kurt Feltenberger (07 Feb 2018 04:41 UTC)
Re: [TML] Story Help Phil Pugliese (07 Feb 2018 18:37 UTC)
Re: [TML] Story Help Kurt Feltenberger (07 Feb 2018 03:55 UTC)
Re: [TML] Story Help Richard Aiken (08 Feb 2018 00:48 UTC)
Re: [TML] Story Help Kurt Feltenberger (08 Feb 2018 02:08 UTC)

On 2/6/2018 3:10 AM, Cian Witherspoon wrote:
> Psychosis from exposure to biological materials is a well-documented
> trope in sci-fi. All it requires is one of three options:
> that the material is capable of passing the blood-brain barrier, or
> that secondary materials from breakdown of the material can pass the
> blood-brain barrier, or
> that the neurological response to exposure is high activity in different areas.
> Obviously, the first two can cause a wide variety of effects, since
> they can have an "explanation" of literal brain damage.
>
> The source is usually troped according to western ideals: fungi are
> usually lethal in these stories, growing in the brain itself. May lead
> to zombies, trope is based on a fear of death and dying things (since
> fungi and molds are seen growing on dead things). Flowers usually
> lower inhibitions, leading to many awkward stories and relationships
> (our symbology usually associates flowers with love, hence why we're
> "supposed" to buy flowers for those we love).
> Bacteriological and viral causes usually just play up our fear of
> death, and then add on the drama and paranoia of quarantine - this is
> rooted in fear of isolation.
>
> On an interesting note, I once saw, way back when I was a kid, a short
> story in the redwall style (bipedal talking animals in a TL1-2
> society) where the explanation for their behavioral similarities was a
> symbiotic fungus that grew in their brains, providing additional
> neurons. Which is obviously really bad pulp science, but a distinct
> possibility if you like that kind of stuff.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards a pollen/seed cause, which if
discovered, would have been a license to mint money for a pharmaceutical
company (or, in this case, the Imperial family of Virgon who sponsored
the expedition)...except the little problem of the Cylons returning and
stinking up the place.

--
Kurt Feltenberger
xxxxxx@thepaw.org/xxxxxx@yahoo.com