Detecting air rafts shadow@xxxxxx (22 Feb 2018 02:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] Detecting air rafts Kurt Feltenberger (22 Feb 2018 02:48 UTC)
Re: [TML] Detecting air rafts Caleuche (22 Feb 2018 04:41 UTC)
Re: [TML] Detecting air rafts shadow@xxxxxx (22 Feb 2018 07:36 UTC)
Re: [TML] Detecting air rafts Tim (22 Feb 2018 06:32 UTC)
Re: [TML] Detecting air rafts Roger Gammans (22 Feb 2018 18:33 UTC)
Re: [TML] Detecting air rafts Bruce Johnson (22 Feb 2018 18:52 UTC)
Re: [TML] Detecting air rafts Rupert Boleyn (23 Feb 2018 11:48 UTC)
Re: [TML] Detecting air rafts shadow@xxxxxx (23 Feb 2018 19:13 UTC)
Re: [TML] Detecting air rafts Rupert Boleyn (23 Feb 2018 20:21 UTC)
Re: [TML] Detecting air rafts Bruce Johnson (23 Feb 2018 20:46 UTC)
Re: [TML] Detecting air rafts Tim (24 Feb 2018 01:16 UTC)
Re: [TML] Detecting air rafts Thomas Jones-Low (24 Feb 2018 01:47 UTC)
Re: [TML] Detecting air rafts Jeffrey Schwartz (24 Feb 2018 00:13 UTC)

Re: [TML] Detecting air rafts Bruce Johnson 22 Feb 2018 18:52 UTC

> On Feb 22, 2018, at 12:35 AM, shadow at shadowgard.com (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:
>

> That only works for fusion or fission power units.
>
> I'm not sure air-rafts use those.

Canonically (per Book 3, which is what I have to hand) air-rafts, g-carriers and the like are ‘refueled’ from a ships powerplant, without any further elucidation as to what that means. Book 8 Library data indicates yes, this is some sort of battery setup "Range in time or distance is effectively un- limited; refuelling (recharging) can be accomplished from a starship power plant in a few hours every ten weeks or so."

If it’s a battery of some sort, this would mean that air-raft crashes have the possibility of taking out small cities as all that energy  is released at once. A critical hit on a G-carrier would likely create a several kiloton (at least) explosion. A sufficiently motivated terrorist could cause a lot of havok if they wanted.

Either that or the energy required to accomplish antigrav is absurdly small.

I don’t have FF&S handy, But I do remember that T4 introduced the hack that these kinds of vehicles were powered by some sort of ‘cold fusion’ style reactor.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona