Re: SimpleLists, or Cordite? and thread-breaking posters David Jaques-Watson (27 Apr 2014 00:30 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: SimpleLists, or Cordite? and thread-breaking posters Kurt Feltenberger (27 Apr 2014 01:23 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: SimpleLists, or Cordite? and thread-breaking posters Kurt Feltenberger (27 Apr 2014 03:51 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: SimpleLists, or Cordite? and thread-breaking posters Freelance Traveller (27 Apr 2014 02:39 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: SimpleLists, or Cordite? and thread-breaking posters Kurt Feltenberger (27 Apr 2014 04:01 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: SimpleLists, or Cordite? and thread-breaking posters Freelance Traveller (27 Apr 2014 02:34 UTC)

On 4/26/2014 10:39 PM, Freelance Traveller wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2014 21:23:02 -0400, Kurt Feltenberger<xxxxxx@thepaw.org>
> wrote:
>
>> >It sounds like the new list host is becoming more of a problem than a
>> >help.  Was there a reason why something like Yahoo Groups wasn't used?
> No, it's not the list host. It's client programs, and Hyphen has
> explained adequately why his messages break thread.
>
> Yahoo!Groups is vile, they're always changing their user interface and
> listmanager interface, and if we were on Yahoo!Groups, everyone who uses
> Yahoo! as their address for receiving or posting would be having
> continuous problems with the list, as the problem that Listmom worked
> around with the "fake" from address also affects Yahoo!Groups-based
> lists, and Listmom wouldn't have been able to "fix" it.
>
> Yahoo! is not competent to run a mailing list service. They borged two
> good services (OneList and eGroups), and destroyed them both.

First, telling people to change their e-mail client because it doesn't
do something for one list is a bit much.

Second, I've been associated with Yahoo for quite a few years; first as
a user and later as a member of their Groups Advisory team, and while
things may not be "the best", they're a lot better today than they were
six years ago when I was first brought on board and met most of the
principals at Yahoo's San Jose campus. The Groups from back then are not
the groups from today and with the groups I manage (again, high post
count/large subscriber base) I don't see these issues, my users don't
see the issues, and workarounds aren't required to simply deliver mail.

I'm not having any issues with Simplelists on either of the accounts I
have sub'd.

As a bit of a backstory about Yahoo...When they acquired eGroups (which
had previously acquired OneList) they also brought along their
engineering team. That team largely worked separate from the main Yahoo
properties, but since it was the single most profitable division in the
company at the time, upper management gave them ample leash.

When Groups had a major outage that was widespread and pretty much
brought the service to its knees, management discovered that eGroups'
engineers *never* documented *anything*. It was all institutional
memory, notes on a personal workstation, and maybe a note here or there
in the code.

In 2007 and into 2008, Yahoo started with a clean sheet of paper to
completely re-write the code from the ground up and document everything.
The functioning code is largely the same, but vastly cleaned up.

Somewhere in there there's a seed for an adventure. :-)

--
Kurt Feltenberger
xxxxxx@thepaw.org/xxxxxx@yahoo.com