Jump rating as a speed instead of distance. Evyn MacDude (21 Jun 2014 00:13 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump rating as a speed instead of distance. Freelance Traveller (21 Jun 2014 01:04 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump rating as a speed instead of distance. Evyn MacDude (21 Jun 2014 01:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] Jump rating as a speed instead of distance. Evyn MacDude (21 Jun 2014 17:37 UTC)

Re: [TML] Jump rating as a speed instead of distance. Evyn MacDude 21 Jun 2014 01:58 UTC

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Freelance Traveller
<xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 17:13:36 -0700, Evyn MacDude
> <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>How much does it change the game if you use Jump range as maximum speed?
>
> There isn't strictly speaking enough information about the change, so
> here are my assumptions:
>
> 1. The speed in question is measured in parsecs per week.
> 2. The fuel usage is not changed - that is, a J1 ship requires 10% of
>    the hull volume to be fuel.
> 3. The range is not limited - that is, in theory, a J1 ship, using that
>    10% fuel, can go as far as it wants in a single jump - but going 52
>    parsecs will require a full year.

Sorry, Was thinking more on the lines of 10% per parsec traveled as
the fuel usage, keeping in line with the normal fuel use parameter.

> Given those assumptions, you will have the following effects:
>
> A. A ship's range will be roughly four times its Jump rating - but most
>    ships will probably limit to three times. This limitation is imposed
>    by power plant fuel, which in standard designs is sufficient for four
>    weeks of operation.
> B. The patterns of trade routes, communications routes, and
>    'backwaterism' will change, and the 'socioeconomic divide' between
>    'hub' worlds, main trade route worlds, minor trade route worlds, and
>    backwaters will be more pronounced. A world's relative importance
>    will be less dependent on astrography, and more dependent on economic
>    factors. Rifts will not be as significant as obstacles to travel; for
>    example, the "J5 route" across the Great Rift could be serviced by J2
>    ships, at the cost of time (2.5 weeks)rather than a J5 ship with its
>    higher fuel/construction costs. The inherent sociopolitical structure
>    of polities such as the Imperium will probably not change, because
>    comm lag, which is the key limitation, hasn't really changed -
>    although with rifts being less of an obstacle, the stellar political
>    geography is likely to change.
>
> Now: Clarify YOUR assumptions, work out the implications (or post here
> for more discussion), and then write me an article for Freelance
> Traveller!

Oh now.... 8)

I was pondering how the trade map would change, hubs would become more
pronounced, I think as I haven't put much on paper other than doodling
in the garden this afternoon pondering old traveller conversations.

I hadn't even hit on the rifts.....

--
Evyn