[Freelance Traveller] September 2014 Ready for Download! Freelance Traveller (31 Aug 2014 21:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Freelance Traveller] September 2014 Ready for Download! Timothy Collinson (01 Sep 2014 08:55 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Freelance Traveller] September 2014 Ready for Download! Freelance Traveller (01 Sep 2014 16:05 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Freelance Traveller] September 2014 Ready for Download! David Shaw (01 Sep 2014 17:32 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Freelance Traveller] September 2014 Ready for Download! Timothy Collinson (01 Sep 2014 19:33 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Freelance Traveller] September 2014 Ready for Download! Freelance Traveller (01 Sep 2014 23:59 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Freelance Traveller] epubs William Ewing (02 Sep 2014 20:00 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Freelance Traveller] September 2014 Ready for Download! Freelance Traveller (01 Sep 2014 15:34 UTC)

Re: [TML] [Freelance Traveller] September 2014 Ready for Download! David Shaw 01 Sep 2014 17:28 UTC

On 01/09/14 17:05, Freelance Traveller wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 13:15:46 +0100, David Shaw <dj.shaw@btconnect.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Also, any plans to do an e-reader friendly version (preferably ePub, but
>> any of the common formats would do) for those of us who've just bought
>> an e-reader and would like to be able to read FT on the go?
>
> I believe that most of the e-readers out there already support PDF;
> while I wouldn't try to use one of the smaller devices out there (they
> don't have sufficient resolution to show the entire page at anything
> resembling readability, and having to scroll both horizontally and
> vertically is suboptimal), the tablet-sized ones (Nook HD+ is my
> personal choice, but I know at least one reader with an iPad) with the
> higher-resolution screens seem to do OK with the PDF. I use the A4
> edition on my Nook HD+ with N2A card (Jellybean), using the Aldiko
> reader software for Android.
>
> If I can ever find a plugin for MS Publisher 2010 that lets me 'Save
> As...' ePUB, or a "printer driver" that lets me print to ePUB the way
> that any number of products let me do with PDF, I'll certainly consider
> bringing that format to Freelance Traveller - but as it stands, even
> Calibre's conversion makes a hacked-up hairball out of an issue, so to
> do a usable ePUB, I'd literally have to come up with a whole new layout,
> one which wouldn't look as nice for PDF, and which would add on another
> week to the production time.

Yes, they do 'support' PDF, but most of them - especially, as you say,
the smaller e-readers rather than the tablets disguised as e-readers -
do what can be politely described as a truly *lousy* job of it -
experiments to date with my Nook SimpleTouch show that it is, in fact,
*not* possible to use it to read PDFs whatever the instruction manual says.

So far as I can find out, there is no ePub (or lit or any other) virtual
printer.  There is a 'Save as ePub' extension for Open/Libre Office, but
I don't suppose that's much use to you  :-)

And don't even get me started on Calibre!  Just... don't!

Ah well!  You already put in *far* more work and effort than any sane or
reasonable person has any right to expect, so I shall just say a
heartfelt 'Thank you!' and shut up :-)

David Shaw