12P/Pons-Brooks updated lightcurve Nick James (10 Jan 2024 21:18 UTC)
RE: [BAA Comets] 12P/Pons-Brooks updated lightcurve Andrew Robertson (10 Jan 2024 22:19 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 12P/Pons-Brooks updated lightcurve Nick James (15 Jan 2024 06:56 UTC)
RE: [BAA Comets] 12P/Pons-Brooks updated lightcurve Peter Tickner (15 Jan 2024 10:17 UTC)
Re: [BAA Comets] 12P/Pons-Brooks updated lightcurve Nick James (15 Jan 2024 20:49 UTC)

RE: [BAA Comets] 12P/Pons-Brooks updated lightcurve Peter Tickner 15 Jan 2024 10:17 UTC

Hello Nick

Like almost everyone in the UK and nearby countries I've had nothing but cloud at the times I could observe 12P.   I have however taken the opportunity of the enforced break to acquire a mono camera I can use with my 14inch SCT for comet observation (I admit it was mainly bought with occultation work in mind) - this may enable me to be able to measure things with Astrometrica more easily.

I don't have any Sloan filters though - what would be the recommended best alternative?    I can image with no filter, with a luminance/IR cut or a plain red filter.   Is there a preference?

Kind regards,

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: baa-comet@simplelists.com [mailto:baa-comet@simplelists.com] On Behalf Of Nick James
Sent: 15 January 2024 06:56
To: baa-comet@simplelists.com
Subject: Re: [BAA Comets] 12P/Pons-Brooks updated lightcurve

The latest lightcurve shows that the near-nucleus magnitude has risen to around 12.6 as the comet approaches the Sun. There is no sign of any significant outburst.

A combination of poor weather and altitude limits and technical problems at remote telescopes means that we have had a few days recently with no observations. If you have any data for those dates please let me know.

Nick.